Spring for my junies

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Repotting and miss other work on my junipers. I'm really a rank beginner so everyone has to promise not to laugh

First two are shimps. The first one I " styl;ed " last year , removed the wire and repotted in JJan. The second I got last year and " styled " in Jan , rep[otted in March. Both ar in training pots so their placement is bad.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Third is a J. squamata " table top blue ". It was wired but I removed the wire in Dec and by Feb the branches had moved part way back. I'll need to rewire him after he puts on some new growth. Repotted in Jan.

Last is a " Tam " juniper ( species ? ). It's pretty much as I found it but much healthier and a little smaller. Repotted in Jan.

Attachments

• IMG_0623.JPG
    IMG_0623.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0624.JPG
    IMG_0624.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 24

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My eye is attracted to your first two trees. The very first one has nice branch placement with the lower branch but things get bunched up a bit on the left side about two thirds the way up the tree. I like the second one with the thicker trunk, but I think it would be stronger if the two primary branches were wired at a lower angle.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks Barry. The first tree represents my first attempt at styling and needs a rewire and slight pruning at the top. The second one has only been partially styled and represents my first attempt at jin and shari but hasn't been wired yet. Your suggestions are right along the lines I'm thinking

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
I rewired the table top blue today. Still can't get the branches where I want them. Probably need to remove a couple. This little guy has a pretty nice nebari for a freebe

Attachments

• IMG_0631.JPG
    IMG_0631.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0629.JPG
    IMG_0629.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I rewired the table top blue today. Still can't get the branches where I want them. Probably need to remove a couple. This little guy has a pretty nice Nebari for a freebe

Dwight, give this guy a rest, work on developing some foliage on it and developing decent Nebari, yes, I'm sorry but I really do not think the current Nebari is all it should be for a tree of this style. Junipers respond well to pinching and fertilizing by back budding and ramifying. I have also learned that by simply scraping the bark off at a few select places on the lower trunk and then covering it with sphagnum moss or soil, junipers will send out new roots easily and reliably.

Of all of these, I like the second one posted the best, although they all need time to develop foliage. Also, when you wire, use some 1.0 wire to spread out and shape the current foliage a bit, wraping very loosely, detail wiring, even on developing stock, helps to spread out the foliage and allow light to reach in, this helps with back-budding and hence, new foliage growth. It also makes the foliage look much better as they take on the preferred fan shape.

All that is needed is some time...

Will

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks Will , I'll try for a better wireing job later. Believe it or not , this is much better than the first try. Later this summer I'll also try the root improving technique if the tree seems ready for it. I've been pinching the heck out of it and have some backbudding but not nearly enough.

Both shimps are a long way from finished. As these are much better candidates to some day become true bonsai , I';m a little paranoid about them. Maybe when I get my landscaping finished and pay our savings back for the new pond I can take ane or both to a workshop. Retirement is great but a fixed income sucks. And noone will pay squat for my body....damn !

Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a textbook example of how to take a little constructive criticism! I wish I could be so open minded sometimes.

And noone will pay squat for my body....damn !
Lol, I know the feeling all to well!

Being a little paranoid is a good thing, paranoia can force one to be patient and that is a hard lesson to learn sometimes. You're thinking ahead and it sounds like you know enough to be patient, that is beyond the rank beginner stage!

Thanks for sharing your trees with us, it is always nice to see the work of others, no matter what level they are at.

Will

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Dwight, I will echo what Will said, and add a big GOD BLESS YOU, I'll bet the firts 18 were easier than the last.

The thing I see in you work, which isn't bad, and not rank beginner, is to find and remove the unnecessary branches and foliage( a big problem for many in the early stages of bonsai), so proper sun and air get to the ones you keep, and so you don't get girth where you don't want it. Not up to doing virtuals right now but some one will get one up I imagine.

Top Bottom