Spring is coming

Jeyrsmith

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hey everyone so its getting warmer and the snows melting , here in new england i would not call winter over but whens a good temp to move the kids outside, i dont wanna force em out of dormancy too early and kill em when a frost spike comes in

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm in zone 5b
Depends on how cold you wintered them.
Mine are mostly outside, they won't wake up until it is ''safe''.

My subtropicals and trees from zones 6, 7 and warmer are wintered in an unheated well house. Typically, even in an arctic polar vortex with record breaking cold, it never gets more than a degree or two below freezing. Unfortunately as the ground thaws it will get warmer than 40 F or 4 C about two weeks before the last frost. Japanese maples and other more tender trees will start growing early.

You can put things out for warm days, then bring them in when frost threatens. THis is the ''In again, out again dance".

Or you can be stubborn like me, I leave everything in storage and take them out after the maples in my landscape, sugar maples, red maples and norway maples open leaves more than half way. This is usually after the street tree maples have flowered, as most maples flower before the leaves. Once the leave are about half way open, you are not likely to have a significant frost. Once I switched to environmental cues, rather than a calendar date, I had no trouble with late freezes forcing me to move a bunch of trees at dusk, for fear of frost.

Jeyrsmith

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Its been pretty warm here we had a night where it went 28°F but other than that here in mass its been between 34+F to 50/60° F the lows seem to be staying qbove freezing as a result i moved the kiddos out side and have been huddling them togather with a small clear tarp draped over them during the nights it is below freezing

Top Bottom