Spring is for spruce

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well in spite of the fluctuations i gemperatires earlier this spring my spruce have just crusised through it a d are pushing buds and new growth like crazy. My Norway spruce, in spite of a major repot in March has put out more buds than ever and is a mass of bright green. There are so many buds this year that I have foregone the spring pinching to generate more backbudding—enough for now! It is due for a major styling in August and with the strength it is showing I hope to get a lot of backbuds further back on the branches.

ED938741-6162-4747-A5A6-F5839B20A0B2.jpeg

Now on to my Colorado Blue Spruce. This one worried me the last two years. I repltted it in 2020 and it sulked all summer. I had expected it to do better last year but as the result of a late freeze it was late to bud out and was weak. However this spring it has fully recovered and put out a beautiful display of strong blue green buds and shoots. It has do e so well that today I pinched back the longer shoots by about 1/3 and hipe to be rewarded in a few weeks with a bunch of new buds further back. It too is due for a stying in August so I am hoping that its response will be strong. I have had this one for about 4 years now transitioning it from a nursery pot to this ceramic one while reducing the roots. I just love those blue green shoots in the spring.

55C266BB-1BF0-4BE6-93AB-60FE4B110408.jpeg

Top Bottom