Spring japanese maple cuttings?

equanox1

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what japanese maple this is, but I planted it when i was 11, I'm 25 now.
I've never tried taking cuttings from maples before, but I was wondering if spring would be the best time to Attempt to take cuttings from this maple? I guess i could google for that answer, but Figured i'de ask people with a lot more experience, than just googling a possibly wrong answer.

This maple turns a gorgeous dark purple every year. as it is right now, it's still green, but it's starting to darken it's leaves on the tips a little bit but not really noticeable that much. I'll take more pics of it when it turns dark purple.
I did a little work on a couple of the top branches last year to try and help it widen itself instead of just grow completely upward, other than those few branches i cut, it's never had anything done to it.

I don't have any maples planned for bonsai, but I'de like to try with this maple, especially since the history i have with it. So yeah, taking cuttings from it to use for bonsai later on, really intrigues me!

i hope you guys can see this maple good enough, I'm not too sure how well anyone can see it in this picture.

View media item 1882

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The first thing that caught my eye in the first picture was the giant pine branch with the giant curved limb, pretty cool. Your japanese maple is doing wonderful hope to see some updates next year.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure does look nice.!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The leafs are a lot like 'Hogyoku', but 'Hogyoku' turns orange like a pumpkin, not purple (dark red). Maybe it is 'Osakazuki' - I don't know that this cultivar was around 14-15 years ago.

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The leafs are a lot like 'Hogyoku', but 'Hogyoku' turns orange like a pumpkin, not purple (dark red). Maybe it is 'Osakazuki' - I don't know that this cultivar was around 14-15 years ago.
Does the best time to take cuttings vary across cultivars?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some cultivars are hard to strike cuttings,you might try a air layer if cuttings don't take.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It might be common palmatum,leaves can very greatly with seedlings,they get dark red in fall,almost purpleish

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Does the best time to take cuttings vary across cultivars?
Spring after the new growth hardens off is always the best time to strike palmatum cuttings, regardless of cultivar, though as others have said, your success rate will vary a lot depending on the cultivar. Good luck

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Spring after the new growth hardens off is always the best time to strike palmatum cuttings, regardless of cultivar, though as others have said, your success rate will vary a lot depending on the cultivar. Good luck
Thanks Dav

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was just reading up on the subject, as I want to take some kotohime cuttings myself and....

I read that it may be better to take them while dormant, before bud break. Not sure though.

With that said, I would airlayer a good branch instead of taking cuttings. MUCH more likely to succeed.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That is certainly a great time to take them Dave, I have had success earlier in the year and later too though. Not sure I can say with absolute certainty when is clearly the best...

I think temperatures have a lot to do with success... I do not take cuttings in a controlled environment or keep them on a heating mat. I keep them outside in little pots of perlite, and was surprised last year by how many took! I struck dozens of cuttings thinking about 30% might take... It was probably closer to 60-70%!!! Most were taken just before bud break... I took a few later in the year and would estimate similar success rates. The same can be said for the layers I did, though with layers it seems earlier was better.

Hope that rambling mess helps the OP- In the end I'd say care is more important than timing! Use rooting hormone, plant them in perlite, keep them wet- I watered mutiple times a day and the ones that did best were in shallow trays of water.

Top Bottom