Spring Maple Foliage

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
In the rest of the country people get nice fall foliage on Japanese maples, but here in San Francisco it doesn't get cold enough at night in the fall to make good foliage color. So, spring is the best color we get. I just walked by this tree this morning and couldn't help taking a photo.

Cheers.

16707611451_bf8d255de8_b.jpg

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
In the rest of the country people get nice fall foliage on Japanese maples, but here in San Francisco it doesn't get cold enough at night in the fall to make good foliage color. So, spring is the best color we get. I just walked by this tree this morning and couldn't help taking a photo.

Cheers.

16707611451_bf8d255de8_b.jpg
We've got a bit longer to go in the Northeast but your posts gives us hope that spring might actually be approaching.... thanks for sharing.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eric, that is a very nice maple. Really wonderful to look at. May I ask how it was propagated? Too bad about fall color, though. Great job!

symbiotic1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
At a bonsai event I went to there was a person there who grew almost exclusively Japanese maples and I could have sworn she told me that to get decent fall color in mild climates she put ice or ice packs around the base of the tree to chill them and simulate colder temps. She could have just smelled the newbie on me but it makes you wonder....

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Eric, that is a very nice maple. Really wonderful to look at. May I ask how it was propagated? Too bad about fall color, though. Great job!
Actually, I know very little about it. It came from a friend's collection. It's tiny though, and the leaves are tiny too. I'm guessing it's some cutting from a larger tree. He liked propagating trees himself.

Drew - thanks for posting. I meant to say in the original post that anyone wanting to show off their maple foliage should do so.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, here in Korea our maples are just starting to push out buds.....still a month before we see leaves of any description!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice foliage, Eric. Looks a lot like tsukushigata.

If you like the reds/oranges in the fall, keep your trees shaded for the last few weeks of the season (during October, say) and then move them into full sun. This should trigger anthocyanin production (to protect the chlorophyl) which will make the leaves of acer palmatums/shirasawanums change to shades of orange to red.

If you happen to be making air layers, dusting the girdle with 1.6% IBA will induce orange coloration that stays for the season and which can be moved into intense red by also using the trick (above).

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice foliage, Eric. Looks a lot like tsukushigata.

If you like the reds/oranges in the fall, keep your trees shaded for the last few weeks of the season (during October, say) and then move them into full sun. This should trigger anthocyanin production (to protect the chlorophyl) which will make the leaves of acer palmatums/shirasawanums change to shades of orange to red.

If you happen to be making air layers, dusting the girdle with 1.6% IBA will induce orange coloration that stays for the season and which can be moved into intense red by also using the trick (above).

In theory that should work, but his problem is the same as mine, while we have the sun late in the season we also have no tremendous cold at night. You need the cold at night and the sun during the day for the anthocyanin to take over. In our Cali climate they just stay green. I had shohin maples this year stay green all year long with great leaves. Figure that?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've never considered nightly low temperatures in the 40s (F) to be "tremendous cold".
Well here we have temps well into the nineties in Nov. 40 would be tremendous compared to 90. We don't usualy see temps in the 40's at night untill well into Dec. and then the leaves are gone. It is very rare here to have maples turn orange or red. I have had my trident for 14 years and I can only remember having red leaves on it twice. It was a very rare occasion for me.
007a.JPG

DSC_00030001.JPG

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In theory that should work, but his problem is the same as mine, while we have the sun late in the season we also have no tremendous cold at night. You need the cold at night and the sun during the day for the anthocyanin to take over. In our Cali climate they just stay green. I had shohin maples this year stay green all year long with great leaves. Figure that?

Al and/or Eric, I'm curious, do you guys have liquidambar up there at all? If so, what are their fall colors like?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those trees are indeed rare beauties; I like the 2010 trident's colors quite a lot.

It is a rare day that it even gets to 90F here.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think my Great Lakes folks, Michigan Boys, Ohio Gals, can appreciate the fact that we get all your weather in our 4 seasons, over the course of a 1/4 decade.

Summers could be that of Nevada, Florida, Canada, Chile.

Winters could be that of SC, Texas, the friggin arctic tundra.

Spring and Fall? Could be summer or winter, who knows!?

Darn fair weather Bonsai Artists!
You all have it made!

Nice color!

Sorce

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Al and/or Eric, I'm curious, do you guys have liquidambar up there at all? If so, what are their fall colors like?
There are a few liquidambar around. The street trees in the city do turn color, but the colors are not as brilliant as areas that are nearby. I went up to Napa for Thanksgiving and the entire town was filled with glowing yellow ginkgo and red maples. At the same time the trees in the city hadn't changed yet. When they did change the yellow on the ginkgo was much more pale. Maple leaves usually just brown and fall off, no color.

Fall 2013 was the best fall color I've ever gotten. There must have been an unusual cold snap at the right time....meaning it got 5 degrees colder I guess since we never get freezing temps.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
BEautiful photos, thanks Eric and Al. 2010 was a damn fine year.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the input, Eric. I haven't seen any maples here yet, but I noticed that here in San Diego, when I arrived in January, a large percentage of the liquidambars had violet-red leaves still hanging on their branches. San Diego gets milder winters than both Fresno and San Francisco. The summer and fall temperatures are warmer than San Francisco, but cooler than Fresno until about October. Also, of course, the days are longer than both after the equinox. I'm just thinking about the mechanisms that might be most influential in the color changing process.

Nice spring photos, Eric. Thanks!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, we broke above freezing last night, for the first time in over a month! So maybe there is hope of seeing some new maple foliage here at some point. Still have a solid 16" snowpack to get rid of.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Going to be -15 here tomorrow night. Hope it's our last one. J. Maples look like they want to get going!!!

Top Bottom