Spring! New projects!

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I recently finished my finals and will have a short break before beginning my next term. With time on my hands I've been doing as much bonsai work as I can. Previously all my trees were just sitting on a cement curb. I made a makeshift "bench" with leftover wood from a growbox and concrete bricks. By summer I intend to build a more permanent fixture with multiple decks. Last year I tried to get an automatic watering system going but it broke. I fixed it up today and used a combination of spot spitters and small disc drippers. I'm hoping it works this time around--I was fortunate enough to have other people help me with watering.

Compared to last season I probably have 3 times as many trees now. Most of them are very healthy and significantly better compared to when I first started. I transplanted 2 trees in the ground this year--a ror trident maple and a washington hawthorn. After they bulk up for a several years I'll dig em out and begin refinement. I probably shouldn't have buried the ror so deep as the previously exposed roots may start rooting themselves but I can check it periodically. Spring has been very enjoyable and I'm content to be able to have so many trees. Anyhow some pictures:
20160320_172416_zpsslkfyysi.jpg

20160320_172421_zpsg1ji6jve.jpg

20160320_172510_zpski1kivbu.jpg

20160320_172342_zpssd0rcrg8.jpg

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice. I see you put stones ontop the pots to. I do it so the black birds don't scratch in it, and to keep the sphagnum moss from drying. Why do you do it?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice. I see you put stones ontop the pots to. I do it so the black birds don't scratch in it, and to keep the sphagnum moss from drying. Why do you do it?
I use stones so I can use a full strength water hose without worrying about the soil getting ejected everywhere. Watering everything by a 2 gallon bucket is tedious and I don't have a working hose or shower nozzle.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha Ha yeah it helps with that to. I do that to, but it's actually the wrong way to water. First wet every pot softly and then come back with a second watering to soak the pot.
I have about 200 and it is a patience tester, but it's the right way..:p

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been contemplating running a fat hose off of a "water cooler" jug. 3-5gl?

Gettin tired of lugging a bucket of little 1gl containers down.

Sorce

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Ha Ha yeah it helps with that to. I do that to, but it's actually the wrong way to water. First wet every pot softly and then come back with a second watering to soak the pot.
I have about 200 and it is a patience tester, but it's the right way..:p
I'll get a shower nozzle for more gentle watering later, but in the meantime it keeps my trees alive.

I have no issue finessing and doing detailed watering specific to each plant but I live away from my trees most of the year. When I'm gone I have to rely on the water system and my mom so I can't have too complicated watering demands.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Watering everything by a 2 gallon bucket is tedious and I don't have a working hose or shower nozzle.
What we need is a cordless hose :)

Sorce - I've been contemplating running a fat hose off of a "water cooler" jug. 3-5gl?
I put an extra long hose on a big garden sprayer to water indoors. You might consider that.
CW

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Everything looks nice and green. My maples are just starting to leaf out this week

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I've been contemplating running a fat hose off of a "water cooler" jug. 3-5gl?

Gettin tired of lugging a bucket of little 1gl containers down.

Sorce
You could get a 5 gallon bucket, an aquarium or pond pump and a timer and make a indoor water system.

Top Bottom