Spring Pests-Amur Maple?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It appears that Spring has sprung here in Maryland. The two maples discussed in this thread seem to be growing well and each tree's buds look strong. But I am curious, today i found what appear to be super small grains of white rice, 16th of inch or smaller in length and maybe a mm in width stuck on the lower portions of the the trunk of each tree. I used painters tape and removed all of them and they did remove very easily, probably 6 or 8 per tree. Is anyone familiar with what I've described? Or perhaps my OCD is working overtime. Any responses would be appreciated, Thanks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No OCD? Now I owe you at least $4.17 for that diagnosis....shrinks get over $200 an hour now I believe.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Sounds like one of the soft body scale, like mealy bugs, or maybe one of the adelgids. Any pesticide labeled for scale, mealy bugs or adelgids would probably work. Read labels and follow directions. Repeat sprays at the recommended on the label intervals is critical. One application will almost never do it. At least a second, sometimes a third will be required to make sure the pest is gone.

Generally I found Amur maple very pest resistant, In over 5 years I have never had to spray an Amur maple.

Top Bottom