Spring photos 2021

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Really special collection Judy. Excellent pot pairings as well. Hope you’re planning for the US Shohin show next year.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Really special collection Judy. Excellent pot pairings as well. Hope you’re planning for the US Shohin show next year.
You bet I am! I was sorry that you didn't make it to the last one, I was looking forward to seeing you there. I did get to meet Adair and Dave, that was really fun times. Maybe the nationals this fall too?

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Beautiful trees Judy. Thank you for sharing, spring is such an exciting time of year. It might seem odd that after showing such a lovely display I ask about the background, but I’m trying to improve my photography and I really like the atmospheric, dark backdrop you have on most of your pictures. What do you use to take pictures against and how far away are the trees set from it?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You bet I am! I was sorry that you didn't make it to the last one, I was looking forward to seeing you there. I did get to meet Adair and Dave, that was really fun times. Maybe the nationals this fall too?
I am aiming for Nattys this fall. Looking forward to seeing everyone In September.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful trees and I love the pot choices. I’m also very jealous of your leaves! Spring hasn’t really kicked in here yet and even all the big ole trees in the forest are not showing any greenery yet. Still looks very much like winter 😩

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lovely, which ones have you had the longest? Would love to see how far they have came. Love that. Been looking at my own before and after images. BVF's post had me looking back at my own collection and where they have come.

Though I realize you mentioned some were new to you. I recognize the one maple I commented on earlier this year.
I went out this year and purposefully picked up a bunch of projects this year as I felt like I only had trees that were further along in the development phase, and really enjoy the process to get there. I have several trees i didn’t photograph in nursery pots still! Unusual for me, but I’m enjoying it all. It has renewed my bonsai enthusiasm which I felt was flattening out in the past couple years.
Really good to see this. I find it so rewarding taking trees along on the journey of being more. Progression photos blow my mind.

But you still have a good collection of nice specimen to enjoy while your at it. They take work as well.

Of the ones shared. I seen the one maple you've had for quite some time. The one you took a drastic turn with as direction. And a few others. Will have to go hunt up old threads to see progression of them.

Nice as always. You never disappoint.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Beautiful trees and I love the pot choices. I’m also very jealous of your leaves! Spring hasn’t really kicked in here yet and even all the big ole trees in the forest are not showing any greenery yet. Still looks very much like winter 😩
Part of the really great thing of having the wintering house, and having some early buds and leaves to see before the season hits!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Lovely, which ones have you had the longest? Would love to see how far they have came. Love that. Been looking at my own before and after images. BVF's post had me looking back at my own collection and where they have come.

Though I realize you mentioned some were new to you. I recognize the one maple I commented on earlier this year.

Really good to see this. I find it so rewarding taking trees along on the journey of being more. Progression photos blow my mind.

But you still have a good collection of nice specimen to enjoy while your at it. They take work as well.

Of the ones shared. I seen the one maple you've had for quite some time. The one you took a drastic turn with as direction. And a few others. Will have to go hunt up old threads to see progression of them.

Nice as always. You never disappoint.
Thanks Darlene, I'd have to dig around, but probably the one I've had the longest isn't photographed, its the big twin trunk hackberry, it's always the late one of the batch, so is just starting to look like buds are swelling. Had the maple you are talking about for a long time too. I have drastically changed my collection a few times to get here where I am at this point. I miss some of the trees I let go, but feel like I did the right thing as the collection was too big tree heavy. I still have a couple (one VERY) large trees, but chuchin make up the bulk along with shohin these days.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Darlene, I'd have to dig around, but probably the one I've had the longest isn't photographed, its the big twin trunk hackberry, it's always the late one of the batch, so is just starting to look like buds are swelling. Had the maple you are talking about for a long time too. I have drastically changed my collection a few times to get here where I am at this point. I miss some of the trees I let go, but feel like I did the right thing as the collection was too big tree heavy. I still have a couple (one VERY) large trees, but chuchin make up the bulk along with shohin these days.
I think many, reevaluate their trees. Fine tuning what we grow into as we stretch our wings. I've not really done overly large trees. So mine is less of a tweaking so to speak. But I did switch to more project trees...

My friend in the UK...just downsized 30 trees from his collection. Some he sold that still hurts he said. But he's getting rid of some of the larger ones as well.

You showing your trees...you have developed a niche that suits you. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Will look around here and see if you've shared the one mentioned at any time.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think many, reevaluate their trees. Fine tuning what we grow into as we stretch our wings. I've not really done overly large trees. So mine is less of a tweaking so to speak. But I did switch to more project trees...

My friend in the UK...just downsized 30 trees from his collection. Some he sold that still hurts he said. But he's getting rid of some of the larger ones as well.

You showing your trees...you have developed a niche that suits you. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Will look around here and see if you've shared the one mentioned at any time.
The hackberry certainly is on here somewhere, it's one of my best and favorites!
The trident in the light blue pot in the photos in this thread is the newest tree, it was fun getting it into a pot and getting first styling done, we will see how it responds this year. Lots of work to be done, but has potential.
IMG_3435.jpgIMG_8258.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh you will have fun with that one @JudyB ! Nice to start with good bones.

I found the thread on the old hackberry. Has an amazing URO. I remember off and on your sharing updates on that one. I can see why it's one of your favorites.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh you will have fun with that one @JudyB ! Nice to start with good bones.

I found the thread on the old hackberry. Has an amazing URO. I remember off and on your sharing updates on that one. I can see why it's one of your favorites.
Not that hackberry, I don't have that one anymore, it's this one. Photo from last year.
IMG_2742.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your flowering almond is charming...I've one in the landscape...such a short lived tree I was told upon purchase. But seeing your neagari ... I say enjoy that beauty! What are the dimensions of the Flowering almond...assuming that is what it is?

Edit: Image taken last night...before the freeze and snow came in. So not the clearest of images.
flowering almond and birdhouse 2021 (2).jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Top Bottom