Spring time in Kiwi land

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I thought I would start a thread as Spring is springing here and my favorite trees are coming into leaf.
My trees are all nursery bought trees from my local area and I am trying my hand at air layering via the pot method. 50% perlite 50 % potting compost. I did some air layers about 25 years ago for fun etc, but sadly didn’t start any bonsai back then.

I think most ( if not all) of the maple cultivars have bought have been grafted. So my plan is to figure out which cultivars can grow on their own roots happily and which suit a graft method with an air layer just under the graft for rootstock power etc.

This is my attempt at a feel good thread where advice should be shared and I know I have plenty to learn in my quest to use the Maple as my specialty group. I have a handful of JM’s which will probably be the ones to do easy learning with and then all the cultivars for variety.
I hope you all enjoy my maple photos and thank you all in advance for the advice ;)
View media item 3871 View media item 3869 View media item 3867
View media item 3865 Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
They're looking beautiful!

Hi just.wing.it.
Thank you for your comment. I know we all had to start somewhere so yeah, I am starting lol.
Bonsai these are not but I now have the stock to grow trees from and learn how to style these airlayers into nice proportionally correct trees for bonsai.
Both single and multi trunked options seem likely. Have you got any thoughts / opinions about designing maple bonsai?
Charles

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi just.wing.it.
Thank you for your comment. I know we all had to start somewhere so yeah, I am starting lol.
Bonsai these are not but I now have the stock to grow trees from and learn how to style these airlayers into nice proportionally correct trees for bonsai.
Both single and multi trunked options seem likely. Have you got any thoughts / opinions about designing maple bonsai?
Charles
Well, this has been my first year with maples.
I have 2 Japanese and one Trident.
@MACH5 has some really amazing maples!
And @Smoke is the Trident master!
Use the "search function"to find some good maple threads...

I'd link one now, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think Mikawa yatsubusa might be very weak. You didn't try Palmatifolium, but I can say I've had bad experience with it not rooting at all. One Acer japomicum I had was weak on its roots and died. Shin deshojo root well and fine. I have one that's so weak this year though. Not gonna touch it in a while. I have Seiryu that is alive and grew, but not super strong. This is its first season on its own. I have some Otohime on their roots. Not super strong but moving along slowly. First season on own roots too.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Kudos Charles, you've got some fun material for next few years... (I continued from here for 3 paragraphs about maples, air layers, time, material and @MACH5 .. but I`ve had 2 bottles of wine, reread and decided against it :p )

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice collection Charles! While I love the variety that Japanese maples offer, be mindful that not all are ideal or even good for bonsai. The problem with some is that they are either too slow, not vigorous enough or simply do not respond well to bonsai techniques. It is a bit of a trial an error with some unproven cultivars. I will say that the best A. palmatum for bonsai is the standard green mountain maple. You basically get everything with this maple that is so desired in deciduous bonsai. Brilliant autumn color, exquisite fine ramification, beautiful bark, ease of culture, hardiness etc. There are others like kashima and arakawa that are excellent but will still place the green maple as my top choice. There is a reason that in Japan you mostly see the green maple used for bonsai.

For landscape use and cultivation, it is then a different matter.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Kudos Charles, you've got some fun material for next few years... (I continued from here for 3 paragraphs about maples, air layers, time, material and @MACH5 .. but I`ve had 2 bottles of wine, reread and decided against it :p )

Hi Victorim,
Thank you for your thoughts.

But why stop now? Leave me hanging lol.

Do you want me to continue this thread for years to come? Or have I misread?

Or should I stop this thread so no one needs to read anymore ;):(:p

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think Mikawa yatsubusa might be very weak. You didn't try Palmatifolium, but I can say I've had bad experience with it not rooting at all. One Acer japomicum I had was weak on its roots and died. Shin deshojo root well and fine. I have one that's so weak this year though. Not gonna touch it in a while. I have Seiryu that is alive and grew, but not super strong. This is its first season on its own. I have some Otohime on their roots. Not super strong but moving along slowly. First season on own roots too.

Hi thumblessprimate,
Thank you for your observations. I will enjoy trialing these cultivars and then probably give up and stick with the mountain maple lol.
Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Very nice collection Charles! While I love the variety that Japanese maples offer, be mindful that not all are ideal or even good for bonsai. The problem with some is that they are either too slow, not vigorous enough or simply do not respond well to bonsai techniques. It is a bit of a trial an error with some unproven cultivars. I will say that the best A. palmatum for bonsai is the standard green mountain maple. You basically get everything with this maple that is so desired in deciduous bonsai. Brilliant autumn color, exquisite fine ramification, beautiful bark, ease of culture, hardiness etc. There are others like kashima and arakawa that are excellent but will still place the green maple as my top choice. There is a reason that in Japan you mostly see the green maple used for bonsai.

For landscape use and cultivation, it is then a different matter.

Hi Mach5,
Wow, I am privileged to have an answer from the maple master. I have read and will read again what you have written, and will bear in mind the reasons why not many cultivars work for Bonsai.

Trial and error and loads of fun is what growing Bonsai is all about, and yes I hear you regarding the green mountain maple being the ONE.

Thank you again for posting. I am new here and need to search for your threads and photos to look at how I can form my own maple bonsai.
Charles.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
But you`ll still carry on and document it here wont you ;) please :p

If you're referring to me, then yes that is the plan :)
Hi Mach5,
Wow, I am privileged to have an answer from the maple master. I have read and will read again what you have written, and will bear in mind the reasons why not many cultivars work for Bonsai.

Trial and error and loads of fun is what growing Bonsai is all about, and yes I hear you regarding the green mountain maple being the ONE.

Thank you again for posting. I am new here and need to search for your threads and photos to look at how I can form my own maple bonsai.
Charles.

No, please no master I am. Just experienced with maples. You are welcome, we are here to help and learn from each other. Please keep us posted on your maple experiences. Aside from a few people here, Bill Valavanis is a true American master and one that has inspired me for many years specially when it comes to maples.

Top Bottom