Spring Update - Shohin Azalea

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Folks
Here are a couple of spring colour photos of a shohin azalea (variety?) that I purchased from a local club member. The colour is a deeper pink than the photo shows.
Here it is in the fall of 2009 and again yesterday (first one with cell phone is my front - second one with Lens cap was the other owners front).
Cheers
G

Attachments

• DC's Shohin Front.jpg
    DC's Shohin Front.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 120
  • DC's Azalea May 12, 2010- Front.jpg
    DC's Azalea May 12, 2010- Front.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 138
  • DC's Azalea May2010  Back.jpg
    DC's Azalea May2010 Back.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 146

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Lovely tree. It deserves a prettier pot.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks JLK, It is in the pot in came in ........but I'm looking out for one as I would like to repot it next spring.
Cheers Graham

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Choosing a pot isn't a strong point for me, although I would say I don't hate what you have, but a colored glazed pot that works with the flower color. Can't do a better description, but I'd know it if I saw it.:)

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi G, this is not necessarily for you but for anyone having trouble matching color for plants and pots. You can get an inexpensive color wheel at any big box store or paint store. Pick which feature on the plant you want to focus on, foliage color, bark or flower and match it to the color wheel. On the opposite side of the wheel will give a contrasting color and on the side will be the complimentary color. Neither is right or wrong, just a different look.
Wood

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Color wheels are a great tool. You can get an idea of what general color is a counterpoint. Green is the opposite of pink on the wheel-which is the blossom color here.

The problem with color wheels is they offer stark choices, when there are actually many.

For instance, a pot with greenish glaze over a brown clay would work very well with this azalea.

Try here:
http://www.langbonsai.com/

Look at the "frog" or "seafoam green" matte glazes over the tan clay Ron uses.

You might also emphasize the trunk and bark with a matte brownish/gold glaze. The Shino glaze on Ron's site would work, as would a number of other combinations.

This might be pretty nice:
http://www.hhpots.com/Schale814.html

Or this:
http://www.hhpots.com/Schale759.html

Sara Rayner's blue/green or green ash glaze on a deep "bellied" oval would be nice also.
http://www.redwing.net/~daalms/index.html

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Bill, Gary and RockM, I really do appreciate your help and for participating in my development.
I'll try the colour wheel idea and have one handy for pot selections.
Some great links and pots Rockm.... thanks again.

I wonder if we should have a section in our Pot forum whereby members put in "pot choice request" for an individual tree and then the potters provide some choices. The member then choices the one he wants and buys from the potter - could be a win-win?
Cheers Graham

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could do that. Might be interesting.

I don't know if potters would do it however. Working on a design that might not pay off...

For what it's worth, I know for a fact that individual potters will work with you on designs for a particular tree if you ask them and are committed to buying what is designed.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might work. You'd have to provide the dimensions of the tree.

See what happens.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I was thinking more on the lines of their current inventory?
G
See what Dale Cochoy has....He just did up a bunch of pots for his next trip....

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
A picture and your thoughts on what you are looking for, in an email to most potters will probably get you a nice pot to work with, it can be tough to get them all on line sometimes. There are several that post here, give em a try. Dale Colchoy is definately a good one to try.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks rock, Irene and Bill.
I'll see what I can come up with. Have a whole year to do that.
Cheers G

Top Bottom