SPRING!

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So... This is my first winter going into spring season doing bonsai. I have alot of tropicals here in Canada and I am wondering when everyone puts them out for our short summer? :) Right now its in the 20 C (68 F), but night temperatures next week are supposed to go back down to 1 C or 33 F. For all those in canada or other temperate locations that own tropicals, when do you personally start acclimating your trees to outside?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine go outside after I think we get frost. Normally that means, late april of a good spring. Or may when a cold spring. This year will be May.
I use a cloudy, rainy week to avoid burning the leaves off.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I put mine out when nighttime temps are consistently 50 degrees or above. I put them in the shade for a week to get them acclimated to being outside.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mine go outside after I think we get frost. Normally that means, late april of a good spring. Or may when a cold spring. This year will be May.
I use a cloudy, rainy week to avoid burning the leaves off.
I put mine out when nighttime temps are consistently 50 degrees or above. I put them in the shade for a week to get them acclimated to being outside.
Thanks for both your opinions! I will make sure to do that

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on the bonsai. I assume you mean tropicals. Most go out when night time temps are averaging mid 40's and above. If we get an occasional 38 or 39 degrees I don't fret, but if it stays there several nights I bring them back in. Also, older and larger plants concern me less than seedlings and very small or young plants. And of course it also varies from species to species.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Depends on the bonsai. I assume you mean tropicals. Most go out when night time temps are averaging mid 40's and above. If we get an occasional 38 or 39 degrees I don't fret, but if it stays there several nights I bring them back in. Also, older and larger plants concern me less than seedlings and very small or young plants. And of course it also varies from species to species.
I have quite a few different tropicals, to be safe I will put them out when night temperatures start going into the 45, 50's. I do have alot of seedlings so I will be sure to be more careful with those :)

Top Bottom