Springtime Shimpaku Juniper

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
here are some pictures of a Shimpaku Juniper I picked up late last year. I haven't done any styling on it yet, but i think it is about time. I re-potted it two weeks ago and it seems to be very healthy. there was a lot of good root growth.

I welcome your thoughts.

201603187464EOS 40D.JPG 201603187465EOS 40D.JPG 201603187465EOS 40D.JPG

Attachments

• 201603187466EOS 40D_lzn.JPG
    201603187466EOS 40D_lzn.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 46

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hard to see the trunk line but it seems to be asking for some wire and more movement. I would also remove some of the branches that you are sure you will not need. Probably will be an informal upright. More pics and let us know what you decide to do. And yes healthy is just the best.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, don't chop off too much, 1/3 is a safe amount, :)

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hard to see the trunk line but it seems to be asking for some wire and more movement. I would also remove some of the branches that you are sure you will not need. Probably will be an informal upright. More pics and let us know what you decide to do. And yes healthy is just the best.

More movement would be good. I am considering a drastic bend in the trunk. I've never done one, but something akin to what I have seen Sawgrass post. I don't want to remove much until I decide because that could change what is 'needed'.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are you happy with the current trunk size? If you're going to try to thicken the trunk I wouldn't remove any growth.

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Are you happy with the current trunk size? If you're going to try to thicken the trunk I wouldn't remove any growth.

I'm not really looking to grow this one out further. I would like to work it sometime this year. I have been waiting on an order of wire from Jim Gremel, and a couple new tools from Japan. The wire arrived yesterday, and the tools will be here any day now. The next step is to put a plan together. That may be the weekend task.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
here are some pictures of a Shimpaku Juniper I picked up late last year. I haven't done any styling on it yet, but i think it is about time. I re-potted it two weeks ago and it seems to be very healthy. there was a lot of good root growth.

I welcome your thoughts.

View attachment 98358 View attachment 98359 View attachment 98359
I would not recommend heavy bending on a tree just repott a few weeks ago. Puts a lot of strain on the roots, and a crazy twisty bend like you are talking about is quite stressful on the tree. Wait another couple months at least IMO. Juniper tend to grow roots pretty slow compared to many D trees...

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would not recommend heavy bending on a tree just repott a few weeks ago. Puts a lot of strain on the roots, and a crazy twisty bend like you are talking about is quite stressful on the tree. Wait another couple months at least IMO. Juniper tend to grow roots pretty slow compared to many D trees...

Thanks Eric. I'll take your advice and wait a bit longer for the bending. I may still try to do a bit of a virtual this weekend to come up with a plan for the tree. My thoughts are to take it at around the second bend and put a twist in the trunk, bringing it back the opposite direction almost horizontal.

Top Bottom