Spruce Almighty!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ok, well not an almighty spruce, but here is a shohin spruce I have been working on. It is still a couple of years away from being ready to show, so it is generally sloppier than I would like. I need to get the secondary branch to beef up a little. It is a fun little tree.

spruce1.jpg

A general idea of where I am going with this tree:

spruce3.jpg

E

ElGringo

Nice, nice. However, i think that the lower trunk is a bit boring compared to the twisted upper part-i think that you should create a shari in the lower region to complement the rest of the tree

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice, nice. However, i think that the lower trunk is a bit boring compared to the twisted upper part

I agree. It is definitely the weak part of the tree. I was even considering using a branch bender to add some curvature. I like your suggestion.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
This is a descent little spruce.... I wonder if the lower trunk will be able to bend though? If it won't then I would suggest slanting the tree a bit to the right so that you can bend the apex back over the base of the tree. It will be much easier to bend it higher then down low where it is srtaight and thick.
Slanting the tree will atleast help take your eye off the upright straight section, know what I mean?

Keep us posted on the progress....

Jason

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I wonder if the lower trunk will be able to bend though?

The photos kind of throw off the scale. It is actually a very small tree. The trunk is only about 1/2" in diameter. The photo doesn't show it to its best advantage. The lower trunk actually has some movement to it, it is not perfectly straight. Hence my thought of adding just a little more to the natural curve that is already there. I also thought about the planting angle. I was actually considering leaning it further left, jinning the primary branch, and making it a windswept. I might play around in photoshop a little and post both photos for us to consider.

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey Nut. It is a nice little spruce. A tree after my own heart. My take is that the twisted upper trunk clashes with the straight trunk and it doesn't know if it wants to be a naturalistic style or Chinese style tree. Until that is resolved, I think you will always have some design issues to overcome. I think your best bet is to improve ramification and work towards filling in the canopy and covering the upper portion of the trunk (for the most part - birds should be able to fly into, but not through the canopy).

Please, no windswept. If you want a major change, think candellabra. Keep us posted!

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
The photos kind of throw off the scale. It is actually a very small tree. The trunk is only about 1/2" in diameter. The photo doesn't show it to its best advantage. The lower trunk actually has some movement to it, it is not perfectly straight. Hence my thought of adding just a little more to the natural curve that is already there. I also thought about the planting angle. I was actually considering leaning it further left, jinning the primary branch, and making it a windswept. I might play around in photoshop a little and post both photos for us to consider.

Hey Nut,

I would say you can easily bend a 1/2" trunk. The picture made it seem thicker than that, so it shouldn't be an issue getting movement there....
Like Rich says, please no windswept.... this tree would never suit that style.

Have fun with this tree and keep us posted on the progress...

Jason

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm embarassed to admit this, but you cannot learn without acknowledging your mistakes.

This is NOT a spruce, but a needle juniper. :) So not only is this tree misidentified, but it is also in the wrong forum. Thanks to Gary Ishii of Chikugo-En for pointing out the proper identification.

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
this is a nice little tree looks bigger in the photo though. I messed around with it and this is what I came up with. I tilted the tree to the right about 10 degrees. With some detail wiring and alittle pruning this little tree will be ready for that show for sure. The top IMHO needs to be thinned out more but I have not mastered that on photo software as of yet but like bonsai I will keep practicing though. Keep us updated on this one Nut.
OH I potted it in some different type pots so you may get an idea of what you like. I my self like first one..

A Friend in bonsai
John

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 24