WesternGrower

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well it would appear that I've managed to get my Blue Spruce to backbud, but only on one branch.
Its worth noting, I didnt do anything special and I wasnt trying to get it backbud either.

Do you think these buds will mature and open up this season? I see smaller buds forming on the hardened off new growth, but they are much smaller and less developed.

0415181359.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's early so those will probly grow.

Nice.

Sorce

WesternGrower

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here is the full tree under a nice bright light.
I dont really have any plans for it, I bent down the branches from where they originally were at the recommendation of someone on this forum, and it seems to have allowed for much better growth overall.
The buds are on the branch on the rear bottom right, with new growth going in all directions
0415181428.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With those smaller low branches I wouldn't ex the possibility of using that vigorous branch as a new leader..

Getting some taper...

And...

Those small low branches may be useavle in a final design....

No rush...

But it may be a good year to push that branch up to a new lead position if you chose.

Indoors just for pics?

Sorce

WesternGrower

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm actually growing my three trees under artificial light in my on campus apartment. There are a few reasons for this, and I know its the wrong choice.
1) They cant go outside on my porch because people here steal plants.
2) I wanted the challenge.
3) I'm using these three trees that I got for cheap to learn with. If they only last a few years thats okay with me, I only have 1 year left here.
4) Its actually going pretty well. (I keep my room cool, plenty of airflow, etc)

I havent really planned to do anything else to this tree for a while, I trimmed its roots when I bought it (heavily rootbound) and removed 1/3 of the poorly placed foliage, now I'm letting it grow.
Here it is when I bought it, and a few months ago.
1228171006.jpg0129181919a.jpg

WesternGrower

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Since these trees are new to me they got a proper winter this year (Back home), and this upcoming winter I plan to leave them in or in front of our barn on our new property (again back home, a town called Tollhouse California). One of my trees is an Oak that was grown in the ground in tollhouse, one is this spruce that came from Walmart on sale at christmas (3 dollars woo) so it got its chill hours in the outdoor nursery, and the third is a ficus.
Temperatures get down into the teens at night with highs in the 40s, so they will get their proper winter dormancy.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I am in the Northeast and have not provided much of any winter protection to my blue spruces. Just set them low on the ground next to a wall. They don't need to be cuddled. They can take A LOT of frigid temperatures without blinking an eye (or a needle!). Most spruces need very cold winters in order to thrive long term. Blue spruce back bud vigorously when happy and healthy.

WesternGrower

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah Im not too worried about the spruce (or the oak consider it grows naturally there) this winter.
Now summer is a different story, I have to come up with some way to keep them out of the 100F+ heat, Im probably going to put a shade over an area and start making a bonsai area/bench once the sale is done.
If the spruce is backbudding then I guess its doing okay indoors, which is honestly kinda surprising considering how unhealthy it was when I bought it.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have some spruce pre-bonsai. None are purchased, all dug out of mountains or river valleys. From experience I can say that that bud should pop this year if you put it in the sun. Once they start they backbud like crazy, but they do need sun. They are by far the most common conifer in my area. They can handle plenty of cold, but can be pretty thirsty in sun.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have some spruce pre-bonsai. None are purchased, all dug out of mountains or river valleys. From experience I can say that that bud should pop this year if you put it in the sun. Once they start they backbud like crazy, but they do need sun. They are by far the most common conifer in my area. They can handle plenty of cold, but can be pretty thirsty in sun.

Hi Tycoss,
Do you mean backbud after/if you have pruned branches? (Shorten to get better taper)
I guess I have just answered my own question lol me :).
Charles

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They certainly backbud more strongly in response to pruning, but any relatively new wood exposed to light will usually produce buds. That's part of why shortening/thinning outer branches leads to more interior growth. Cutting back helps the light in.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They can. Not as vigorously as the branches. Mine haven't backbuded on wood more than a decade or two old. That doesn't mean it can't happen though.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
There is a dwarf one at a nursery that I passed on last fall that has a wonderful base but all foliage is far away from it. I may reconsider.

Top Bottom