Spruce Looking Sparse

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm wanting to do some work on a blue spruce, but it's not looking to hot.

The needles have dropped off leaving some really bare spots on the branches. I was wondering how far back can I cut the branches or should I consider these to be lost branches?

I intend to ground grow this tree, so I hadn't cut if anywhere really.

Attachments

• 20181107_160659.jpg
    20181107_160659.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20181107_160910.jpg
    20181107_160910.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 20181107_160816.jpg
    20181107_160816.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 20181107_160752.jpg
    20181107_160752.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 20181107_160850.jpg
    20181107_160850.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 64

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would not cut off any of those branches. The tree definitely looks stressed but there is still green foliage on all those branches it looks like. Cutting off green foliage on a tree that is in poor health is a great way to kill it much faster. I don’t know what is wrong with it, but my advice is to leave it alone and let it get healthy.

Also keep in mind that spruce do shed old needles in the fall. I’m not sure if it’s three year old needles that get shed usually or what. So some of that could be happening. But it looks like it’s dealing with some health issue as well.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I found that spruce in a stage like that needs at least another year to recover. It looks pretty recently repotted/collected.
Spruce are way slower than most pines.
Personally, I would get it back to fully green/blue. That would induce some backbudding as well, giving you more to work with.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tips I can see look healthy. Even three juicy buds on a tip or 2?
Except for that one that looks to be throwing cones instead of buds.

Sorce

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
It looks like it suffered from a hot summer and not enough water.
Don’t let it dry out again, keep it moist and when you water also make the foliage wet. Well now entering winter soon so maybe less necessary but depends on your climate.
Better don’t do anything to it for at least a year. Next year keep it under shade If you didn’t do that this year.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I agree this looks like drought stress, too dry between watering. Don't cut back now. If growth is good next year, or wait until 2020 but in June or July, cut overly long branches back to buds that have leafed out and are actively growing.

The dormant buds won't keep a branch alive. You need an actively growing buds, fully leafed out to keep a branch alive.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When did you repot it last? What mix did you use? Have you done any root or branch pruning and when? What is your watering schedule/regimen?

I have a couple Norway spruce and one Col blue spruce and they generally are hardy as long as you don’t overdo it and remember that timing is everything. Make sure to read the bonsai4me link that defra just posted as it is my go to method and has worked for me.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
It was re-potted in mid to late August. Went from a pond basket to growing tote, both were/are 100% NAPA DE. I did some minor root work, but did not really cut anything back as I was going to wait and do that this winter along with a little more structural wiring.

It's in exactly the same spot as it was before being re-potted.

Typically I water once a day, I admit, as the weather has changed I have slacked off on consistent daily watering.

I actually was worried about it staying too wet since we haven't had much sun on some of these days. But seems like the consensus is that I could be wrong.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It was re-potted in mid to late August. Went from a pond basket to growing tote, both were/are 100% NAPA DE. I did some minor root work,.

I think you have your answer right there. I would not dream of repotting or doing any degree of root work on any of my trees in mid August. It is easily in the 90’s here in Upstate New York, I can’t imagine it’s any cooler in Oklahoma. Bottom line, repotting in mid August is a great way to kill any tree. Hopefully yours survives. Keep that work to the spring time in the future.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I think you have your answer right there. I would not dream of repotting or doing any degree of root work on any of my trees in mid August. It is easily in the 90’s here in Upstate New York, I can’t imagine it’s any cooler in Oklahoma. Bottom line, repotting in mid August is a great way to kill any tree. Hopefully yours survives. Keep that work to the spring time in the future.
Summer Solstice! Lots of summer repots!

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Surely summer repots are suitable for some species, i’ve done it with my mugos. But thinking you can apply that to any species will give you bad results, like this. This tree is clearly in the process of dying, hopefully it changes it’s mind, but you’ve already identified the major reason for its poor health. Usually when I notice that something isn’t working I look at what I’ve done and try something else.

Can I ask, when was the last repot done on this tree prior to the August repot?

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I ask because I see you were planning another repot this winter. Spruce don’t like getting rootwork done two or three times a year. Actually no species likes that. You gotta just let it do its thing between repots.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
An end of summer repot for a spruce is perfectly fine though, but yes 2;3 times a year ain’t good for any species. The soil looks coarse, maybe good for drainage but that’s also quick to dry out which isnt good for spruce.
Well the best thing you can do now is, don’t Let it dry out, keep it out of the wind, spray the foliage wet regularly. Also during winter. I assume you don’t get snow but I might be wrong with that. Some top dressing on the soil may keep it moist a bit longer, I would do that.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Surely summer repots are suitable for some species, i’ve done it with my mugos. But thinking you can apply that to any species will give you bad results, like this. This tree is clearly in the process of dying, hopefully it changes it’s mind, but you’ve already identified the major reason for its poor health. Usually when I notice that something isn’t working I look at what I’ve done and try something else.

Can I ask, when was the last repot done on this tree prior to the August repot?
No you misunderstood something somewhere. I probably didn't make it clear enough. My apologies.

I was planning on doing some wiring this winter, NOT repotting. The last time I repotted this tree was August of 2017.

Like @Djtommy said, spruce can be repot in Fall.

Anyone have a picture of needle drop in spruce? Have we ruled that out completely? Lol

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No you misunderstood something somewhere. I probably didn't make it clear enough. My apologies.

I was planning on doing some wiring this winter, NOT repotting. The last time I repotted this tree was August of 2017.

Like @Djtommy said, spruce can be repot in Fall.

Anyone have a picture of needle drop in spruce? Have we ruled that out completely? Lol
Oh ok, my bad.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree this looks like drought stress, too dry between watering. Don't cut back now. If growth is good next year, or wait until 2020 but in June or July, cut overly long branches back to buds that have leafed out and are actively growing.

The dormant buds won't keep a branch alive. You need an actively growing buds, fully leafed out to keep a branch alive.
They like a degree of organic matter such as composted Pine bark mulch in the soil mix, without that they dry too quickly and look shity.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don’t think moisture retention in your soil is an issue if you’re using 100% DE. Should be holding plenty of moisture between watering. Consider top dressing with sphagnum though for even drying.

Top Bottom