Spruce or douglas fir

Flipkronikz

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bought tree few weeks ago. I was told it is a douglas fir. Plantnet app is saying it is a norway spruce. Can someone help me identify the species?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220809-204108_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220809-204108_Gallery.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 149

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe it is Douglas Fir but the picture is a bit far out. I am enjoying working with some now.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Look closely at where the needles attach to the branches.
A spruce have tiny flat "tongues" that protrude from the bark and hold the needle on their tips.
A fir will have the needles protruding from a tiny little balls on the bark.

These are defining characteristics of these two families of trees.

Flipkronikz

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A spruce have tiny flat "tongues" that protrude from the bark and hold the needle on their tips.

Ok ill get a pic of the branch when I get a chance.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Except Douglas Fir is not true Fir. Different family. Growth looks as if Spruce. Buds distinguish Doug fir from true Firs and believe Spruce as well🤨. Other than new growth most of trees needles do not look good. Were trees bought marked down by chance?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, you need to zero in on those closeups of needles and attachment. One problem that clouds the issue is that everyone knows what a spruce looks like but many people have never seen a Douglas Fir. It is a common Christmas tree. At a glance I would believe all of my Douglas Firs to be spruce. Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) is sometimes called Douglas Spruce by older circles, primarily in the Northwest. There are 3 subspecies. Interesting thing is its name, Pseudotsuga refers to false hemlock. No one would argue that this is a true fir, it simply resembles fir more closely.
It could certainly be a spruce, but in your picture it strikes me as Douglas Fir.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spruce, top and bottom. Its a weeping cultivar of P abies, Norway spruce.
IMG_6675.JPGIMG_6676.JPG

Douglas Fir, Pseudotsuga menziesii

IMG_6673.JPGIMG_6674.JPG

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Fuzzy photos has me guessing spruce. BUT, @Flipkronikz you should learn to use resources a readily available. Have you carefully read any of the tree guides on the internet describing the two species. Even Wikipedia gives enough clues you can pretty accurately separate the two using Wikipedia alone, and it is not a particularly "botanically orientated" reference. You should read the web resources. Every state in USA has a forestry department, and most have tree guides published, most are on line.

In no particular order or preference. The Missouri Botanic Garden has high marks for botanical authority but low marks for ease of use.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suspected it and your final picture shows it is a spruce. I try to give nursery personnel the benefit of they doubt, but in this case they were wrong.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just realized that you haven't posted your location in your profile. It would be helpful for future questions and such.

Top Bottom