Spruce Parade

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here are a few Picea Engelmannii that were collected between Fall '06 and Spring '07 that I felt needed to be twisted and turned. These are first stylings - more growth and ramification is needed! I didn't do deadwood work at this time, but all will get that treatment in the future. Due to the trees being in plastic growing pots, nebari's aren't visible - but, most are inferior at this juncture, so no real loss that you can't see them now. A variety of pics for your viewing pleasure.

Note, I am still trying to hone my photo skills, so no being mean there. I am fighting with the 3D vs. 2D difference and how to properly stage a tree for the photo - as I have really noticed that branches need to be moved into different positions for the photos, and still some branches appear out of position.

Oh, and this is the functional method of wiring - so nobody say nothin' about crossed wires...

#1 A before and after of a tall, skinny twin trunk. The left subtrunk got twisted and bent nicely - but branches do cross infront of the trunk now. 24" from soil line.

Attachments

• Picture 089a.jpg
    Picture 089a.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Picture 016a.jpg
    Picture 016a.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
#2 This one truly looks better in person - as the true depth of the tree doesn't show. There is actually a nice canopy - and the "gap" in the branching doesn't "seem" as bad. The top looks wierd - lotsa new buds through and it will fill in over the next few years as a new apex is grown. Also, note the heavy branch starting to the right and snaking down and to the left (with a little nub sticking out) - this used to be the apex before some heavy copper wire was applied. 8" from top of soil.

Attachments

• Picture 004a.jpg
    Picture 004a.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Picture 004b.jpg
    Picture 004b.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 41

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
#3 A nice little twin trunk shaped into a windswept-ish tree. This really needs to be compacted and ramification. The branch coming from the sub trunk on the right clearly needs work from this picture - but looks much better in 3D. 14" from top of soil.

Attachments

• Picture 009a.jpg
    Picture 009a.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 52

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
#4 Not much else to do at this juncture... Very healthy and lots of buds. 10" from top of soil.

Attachments

• Picture 002a.jpg
    Picture 002a.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
#5 This is actually a subalpine fir, Abies lasiocarpa. Double trunk with sub-branch brought up as a third trunk. Multiple fronts, but I kinda like this one right now. This has buds popping all the way down both trunks and on every branch, so it should ramify nicely over the next couple of years. 15" from the top of the soil.

Attachments

• Picture 013a.jpg
    Picture 013a.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 75

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Rich , do you know what engleman spruce have to do with music ?

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so nobody say nothin' about crossed wires...

Crossed wires! :D

Spruce number two and the fir are very interesting, I'm not sure where I'd go with the other three.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I see where you are going design wise. These trees will be a while before they get there and if these were mine, I would be ground layering them in the mean time (twin trunks). Although it has been debated whether or not a twin trunk happens at the soil line or not, my liking is at the soil level, hence the recommendation to ground layer while they develop further. I particularly like the fir as well and that particular one I see emitting from the soil line. Keep us posted as the season progresses.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice Rich, Your photo skills are improving. I like 1,3,5 as for the other two I will blame that on shot angle;).
#1 I think might be the best. I have only one problem and that is the hard upward right angle turn of the small trunk coming out of the larger one. This looks extremely contrived and lacks a natural feel. I realize the harmony you want with both trunks. However an almost exact match in movement and direction maybe doing more harm than good. My 2 cents worth would be soften the angle of the smaller trunk near the union to the larger tree.

Thanks for sharing

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
Hey Rich: Your right of course that there is this difference between the photograph of the tree and the tree itself - when any tree is photographed it does appear much flatter. I think it has something to do certainly with creating depth in the tree - the wiring of branches in both the foreground and behind the tree creating depth. I like the general direction of all the twin trunks you have posted - of course I am partial to the alpine fir - abies lasiocarpa. With these twin trunks the viewing angle is really important as you well know - so turning the tree left and right so the larger trunk is in front or behind the smaller trunk again creates the illusion of depth. Looking at the twin trunk from a straight on view doesn't work. Since you have not potted these trees that isn't really an issue yet - but something to think about.

Breaking some of the bonsai rules like crossing branches and creating more odd shaped jins will help create a sense of scale too. I don't agree with the posted suggestion about ground layering - with Spruce and Fir it could be a long time [if not impossible] to layer these trees. I don't think it is warranted even if the union is slightly high.

I can definitely see your efforts in creating the look of older twin trunks with the lower branches swooping down because of age and snow loads. With that good Oregon climate and ample back budding the crowns should fill in well over the next 3 to 4 years - save these photos for the development series in the future. Good work and thanks for taking the time to post your work....

Tom Tynan

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
No, but I would guess a luthier is involved...

Right the first time. Spruce and especially engleman is highly sought after for guitar and violin tops. It has a nice warm tone. I have a Martin copy of Woody Guthrie's guitar with an engleman top and the sound is fabulous.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rich, thanks for posting these! Looks like you have a good start going, except for those crossed....wait. Scratch that.;) I love the twin trunk trees, but agree with Tom on the first bend of tree #1. Is this one a candidate for layering?

Man, I gotta move to a more collectible part of the country.

Top Bottom