Spruce styling

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Ugo. Your tree looks to be very healthy for sure. What in the world is all of that stuff that was all over your soil and you removed. Is that the same as in your hand?

Do the needles on this tree get pokey and sharp feeling at times. Are you sure that is a spruce?

Hi!
Yes it is the same as in my hand, it basicly create a layer of fungal mass where roots develop.
From what I understand, it seems to be the tree that creates it.. Accumulation and vast amount of sugar amd starches in the roots leads to this type of mycorrhizae.

The needles are not really sharp, a needle can be bent without breaking.
I always believe that this tree was a dwarf Alberta spruce due to foliage and characteristics... so good question!

Thanks
Ugo

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Great looking tree. And nice work so far!

Have you toyed with the idea of wiring the branches at the right, -outside of the trunk curve- down a bit?
As of now, the are coming out at about 90 degrees from the trunk, making them flare upwards.
I think it might look more natural with them brought down closer to horizontal.
Thank you!

Sure!
To be honest it was planned for this type of design but with my lack of knowledge I havent been able to keep the branches downwards during the growing phase.
I wire the tree instead of applying guy wires.. I had to remove the wires due to wire bite and from there the branches took that angle.

I will probably have to wedge cut at the shoulder to bring some of them down and apply guy wires for as long as possible when done.

If the tree respond well to the corrective / energy distribution, I will think about doing the work in Autum 24'.

Here's some picture of the clean-up.
The prunning has been done with the design in mind: branches laying down so I had to remove what was growing down, remoce what was growing-up and keep sone growth that will form future pads one in position.

20230329_214538.jpg

20230330_020647.jpg

20230330_020612.jpg

Attachments

• 20230329_214514.jpg
    20230329_214514.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230330_020612.jpg
    20230330_020612.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom