Spruce Yardadori Advice

stoverock

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi all, I found a shohin sized blue spruce seedling that I’d like to collect. We’ve had some warm weather but it’s getting back down to freezing at night. I assume that early spring is the right time to collect, after nighttime temps go above freezing. How should I go about collecting and potting this seedling? My plan is the wire some movement into the trunk and let the top grow to thicken it.

Attachments

• 6689CD94-AF0B-431E-9490-118B8133FC10.jpeg
    6689CD94-AF0B-431E-9490-118B8133FC10.jpeg
    406.2 KB · Views: 65
  • AE8990EA-F33B-4D1C-A0B0-00347762BDEF.jpeg
    AE8990EA-F33B-4D1C-A0B0-00347762BDEF.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 049457D2-8154-498C-8EAE-499B522B0929.jpeg
    049457D2-8154-498C-8EAE-499B522B0929.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 54
  • BF7CAE17-E7BD-4D52-B31E-063FE8862792.jpeg
    BF7CAE17-E7BD-4D52-B31E-063FE8862792.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 65

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Assuming that's at your house and you'll be there a while, I think most people here would say to let it keep growing right there in the ground. Many people will plant their trees in the ground and let them grow until they get much bigger.

stoverock

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think it's a pinus pinea, not a spruce.
There's an adult spruce close by which is why I thought it was a spruce, but I'll try to get a better ID on it soon. There are also several pines on the property.

stoverock

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Assuming that's at your house and you'll be there a while, I think most people here would say to let it keep growing right there in the ground. Many people will plant their trees in the ground and let them grow until they get much bigger.
It's at work, so I'd like to collect it soon before the groundskeeper accidentally trims it or something. I'll try to put it in the biggest pot possible and let it grow out, but I think the wiring and bud selection experience outweighs the negative of a skinny little trunk.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
There's an adult spruce close by which is why I thought it was a spruce, but I'll try to get a better ID on it soon. There are also several pines on the property.
I've grown a bunch of pines from seed, and the blue coloration and the way the shoots form on the base make me think of italian stone pine. I'm pretty sure it's either that, or halepensis.
If you google search stone pine or pinus pinea seedling, I'm pretty sure you'll find an almost exact resemblance ;-)

Compare that to a spruce seedling, and you'll see that the needle density is quite different. Bark is pretty different too, where spruce is smoother than pines in general.
This year, or the next, you'll either get adult pine needles somewhere in there, or it's a spruce. But I'm putting my money on it being a pine.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I've grown a bunch of pines from seed, and the blue coloration and the way the shoots form on the base make me think of italian stone pine. I'm pretty sure it's either that, or halepensis.
If you google search stone pine or pinus pinea seedling, I'm pretty sure you'll find an almost exact resemblance ;-)

Compare that to a spruce seedling, and you'll see that the needle density is quite different. Bark is pretty different too, where spruce is smoother than pines in general.
This year, or the next, you'll either get adult pine needles somewhere in there, or it's a spruce. But I'm putting my money on it being a pine.
I also though that was a pine when I saw it, Canary pines seedlings that I see all the time were I live are very similar (they are close related to Pinea and Halepensis)

Diggumsmack2

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yup, my first thought was, that's a pine not a spruce.

Also the OP stated we are having blah blah weather. Better info would be your location in the world realm.

Top Bottom