Squirrel damage con my new Rain Tree

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's been about 6 weeks since I repotted the tree so this weekend I pruned it back. I left some branches growing to thicken up and I got a bud to pop right where I needed it to fill the gap on the left.
20180714_134541.jpg
I also wired some new shoots in place that were trying to grow straight up.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I haven't pruned it since the last post--I still get so surprised when I see how fast these grow.
20180821_180328.jpg
I noticed something I'd never noticed before. All of the laves that I've seen so far have been a just pair of leafletts and then it splits in two, like this:
20180821_180917.jpg
A few days ago though I noticed that towards the end of the stronger shoots, there were leaves that had two pairs and then the split, like this:
20180821_181425.jpg
Has anyone else's tree done this before? I'm assuming it's just the vigor in the strong shoots but who knows.

I'll be pruning it back and removing some wire hopefully tonight

Attachments

• 20180821_175848.jpg
    20180821_175848.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 13

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Prune that top more often/earlier......your first branch is the smallest one on the entire tree.

Up the feed, 5 weeks in Texas? Shouldn't be able to see the door behind it.:)

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Prune that top more often/earlier......your first branch is the smallest one on the entire tree.

Agreed.. I've been meaning to keep the top under control but I had things get in the way this month that didn't let me give as much attention to the tree as it needed.
I pruned it last night and I left the lowest branch to keep growing along with a few other key branches I'm building.

I actually slowed fertilization quite a bit since the last post because I realized that I was getting really long internodes when I'm trying to get ramafication. That may also be why it's not covering the door lol should I have not slowed it down? I use Miracle-Gro liquid fertilizer

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Get it fat and happy with lots of water and fert. You should cut it back pretty hard before you go for any ramification. Branches will be a bit long for length/girth of the trunk.

I'll be doing the same....next year!!! Almost time to bring indoors up here.....made it till October first last year!!!

I probably won't do that again, but we'll see.

Yours grow a hundred times better indoors than mine do, that's for sure!!! I need to up the lights, but I really believe it's more about warmth in the root area. My house is an icebox in the winter!!:(

I actually fertilize year 'round. Granular in the winter, though....fert stench for all, this joyous Christmas morn'.....o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O:rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
We've had constant rain for the last month and a half or so, paired with lower temperatures at the end of last week, I decided it was time to bring the brazilian tree inside. At first I was going to bring it back out when it got warm again but I figured I might as well keep it inside, that way I can give it the most light possible since it's still cloudy outside. (thumbnails at the bottom)

Yesterday I took the plunge and defoliated most of it so the new "indoor" leaves can come in fresh and I don't have to worry about cleaning up fallen leaves for the next few months. I didn't defoliate it last year so we'll see how that goes. It's definitely healthy enough to handle it.

Here it is before:
20181022_220603.jpg
I have a 4 bulb T5 Agrobrite fluorescent light system as well as a small fan for air circulation designated pretty much for this tree only.

Here it is after defoliating:
20181022_220623.jpg
I left some leaves on the branches I'm trying to thicken up.

And finally after wiring up a couple of branches on the left side to fill in the spaces. Been working on that branch for a while so it's nice to see it actually wired and in place filling in the gap.
20181022_220633.jpg

Thumbnails:
20181022_220603.jpg20181022_220623.jpg20181022_220633.jpg

P.S.
@LanceMac10 sorry I just saw your above response! Did you already bring yours in or did you leave it outside into October?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Mine have been in for a couple of weeks. No leaf drop so far. But they're in front of my southern patio doors and have additional lighting. One is in serious need of a trim, but I wanted to see what happened once it came in. I'll admit, I'm too chicken to defoliate. It grew fine inside last winter, so not sure what the benefit would be.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Mine have been in for a couple of weeks. No leaf drop so far. But they're in front of my southern patio doors and have additional lighting. One is in serious need of a trim, but I wanted to see what happened once it came in. I'll admit, I'm too chicken to defoliate. It grew fine inside last winter, so not sure what the benefit would be.
I'm sure it's probably the southern window that's helping because when I bring mine in, it only gets the artificial light, no sunlight whatsoever. Last year I brought it in and the older leaves started yellowing pretty quickly so I figured I'd beat the tree to it this year.
It's the first time I get to fully see the structure of the tree so I took advantage and pruned back some structural flaws I saw. As I said though, I've never done it before so we'll see what happens! I'll keep updating this thread so you can see the progression :p

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Rodrigo, have you figured out your initial question, whether it was squirrel damage or natural peeling?

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Rodrigo, have you figured out your initial question, whether it was squirrel damage or natural peeling?
Honestly, no I haven't. I want to think that it's just the bark naturally peeling but I have more sections higher up the trunk that peeled this summer they look very white and clean. The origanal "damage" looks different though so that's what throws me off. It also seems to always stay wet even though I avoid getting water on it.

Here are is a couple of pictures of the original section and then the recently exfoliated bark:
20181025_174437.jpg
20181025_174449.jpg
20181025_174525.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Rodrigo , my friend, I didn't make it into October. Could have, I guess, for a little bonsai shuffle. Really heavy and awkward to move. Not to mention barely fits thru the front door! One move, that's it!

Pretty much defoliates itself, but soon I'll go in and remove 'em all and cut back longer shoots. New buds ready to go further back down on the branching.

Starting to think it's better to let the bark exfoliate on it's own, particularly at the base of the trunk. I wonder if some of the exposed area is not quite ready for the sun and can get a little rough. Your bark seems a little rougher than I'm used to.....who knows? Maybe some mineral build-up as well.....

………………………..only six months to go until it goes back outdoors...………………..:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@Rodrigo , my friend, I didn't make it into October. Could have, I guess, for a little bonsai shuffle. Really heavy and awkward to move. Not to mention barely fits thru the front door! One move, that's it!

Pretty much defoliates itself, but soon I'll go in and remove 'em all and cut back longer shoots. New buds ready to go further back down on the branching.

Starting to think it's better to let the bark exfoliate on it's own, particularly at the base of the trunk. I wonder if some of the exposed area is not quite ready for the sun and can get a little rough. Your bark seems a little rougher than I'm used to.....who knows? Maybe some mineral build-up as well.....

………………………..only six months to go until it goes back outdoors...………………..:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
If mine were that big I'd probably wait and only move it once too! :eek::eek:Since it's small though I don't mind shuffling it inside lol

I probably could've waited to defoliate a bit like you're doing but I wanted to do it before it started dropping it's leaves. This year is sort of an experiment since I haven't defoliate it before.

Yeah I have no idea what's going with my bark.. I don't think it's mineral buildup because I try to avoid watering the trunk and foliage and when I try to brush it to clean it up, I think it damages it more.

I know right? :rolleyes: at least I can always look at it as I walk by while it's inside :cool:

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well it seemed to take the defoliation in stride :DIt's already budding in all kinds of random places along the branches.
Some of the leaves that I left on are still green but they're already starting to not look too good.

20181105_184808.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Glad the defoliation worked out well for you. Mine haven't seemed to mind coming in, so I'm just going to let them be.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
There's a couple of shoots that are taking off near the top already, should I be pruning back those back to keep the lower half balanced? Or should I just let it go to recover from the defoliation?

janaiya

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone. Happy Holidays as well! I am a New BRT Bonsai enthusiast and we just started kinda on the wrong end to learn how to Bonsai. I found you guys having some experience with BRT and might be able to assist me.
My son went to buy an old BRT Bonsai tree without knowing much about it. I had Bonsai in the past but could never take it to the next level. I started reading everything I could find on the Internet about BRT but unfortunately there is not much info about maintenance, watering, pruning, and about trouble signs. We have the BRT since Dec 17th and since than its getting yellow tips on the leaflets, some are brown as well. Could be still stress signs from moving to us? How long it takes until it gets used to its new home?
Too much water, not enough water? Maybe not a good idea having the tray under the soil? My son gives water around 10/11 am and I would rather give water in the evening. When to do what? Can I spray the leaves with water as well? Do it
evening/morning? Should we use fertilizer, how much and when and how?
It sits South, has sun all day, has House wall on 2 sides, ceiling covers half tree. The tray is put in the soil but without covering the top. We have been watering it like 3-4 times in the week. New leaflets are growing but I don't think that a white color is correct. What could be happening to our BRT? I contacted LanceMac10 to see if he can help as well. Any suggestions are very welcome. By the way I live in South Florida Miami.. All pictures other than the 2nd are from its 1st day at the new location. The 2nd picture is how it looks today, 8 days later, as you can see the moss is now yellow and dying and I really think the color of the leaves should be a darker green but they all appear like a light green.
The last picture is also 1st day and I really think the BRT should be standing on a stand with its tray,
it would look much better because the tray gives a balance to the whole appearance. Plus drainage while watering could be observed, and we see whats going on with the roots. Unfortunately I haven't seen the tray when the Bonsai arrived. No idea how deep it is.
Anita

Attachments

• IMG_1514.JPG
    IMG_1514.JPG
    323.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1511 (1).JPG
    IMG_1511 (1).JPG
    320.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1517.PNG