Squirrel damage con my new Rain Tree

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
It was finally time to bring in my BRT about a week ago before the arctic blast hit. It's pretty much a year since I posted the last picture on this thread. Definitely filled in quite a bit

Aha! Developing a cork bark like one of mine. It looks healthy and nice, congrats!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have never seen bark like that on a BRT. Is that a different variety? How about some close-ups?

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Aha! Developing a cork bark like one of mine. It looks healthy and nice, congrats!
Thank you!
Is that what that is? I've never really known why it looked like that. Can you post some pics of yours?

I'll post some when I get home later

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This very smooth surface is what I thought was typical. The bark come off in sheets, like a snakeskin, except stiff. The lumpiness at the base are roots.

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This very smooth surface is what I thought was typical. The bark come off in sheets, like a snakeskin, except stiff. The lumpiness at the base are roots.
View attachment 271964
That's what I thought too. If you look at the pictures on my first post on this thread, that's how it started. The trunk came off in one clean sheet but then over time it started getting knarly and brown.
But if it's a corkbark then I'm all for it! :p

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here is an update on my BRT after winter indoors.

I actually ended up putting it into the Bonsai Society Of Dallas Club Show last weekend. The pictures never do this tree justice for some reason. It looked much better in person. I moved the moss kusamono and display card closer just for the picture.

IMG-20200311-WA0009.jpg

Today I noticed that it was trying to shed bark again. It seems like every spring it exfoliates pieces of bark randomly.

20200311_192407.jpg

20200311_192424.jpg

I helped it along so it wouldn't give bugs and insects a place to live. I love the contrast of the white bark.

20200311_192519.jpg

It's staying outside for good now unless we get an unexpected freeze, which is not uncommon in Texas.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I saw your tree in the show--it looked really good! Reminded me of my long-dead Texas ebony a little. Thanks for exhibiting, any show is a lot of work to put on, and I enjoyed seeing all the trees.

Top Bottom