Squirrel damage? Options?

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think a squirrel did this, to my Japanese flowering quince... Do I ignore it for now, cover it with wound/ cut paste, plan on ground layering it some day? Thought it was me, Maybe wire damage, but that really looks like it was made by teeth. Varmint teeth...
B

Attachments

• 15D57EC1-B1E8-4935-B0FD-48B75F34AB1F.jpeg
    15D57EC1-B1E8-4935-B0FD-48B75F34AB1F.jpeg
    242.3 KB · Views: 129

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, I'd bet squirrels if that damage occurred while on a bench. Personally, I'd clean up the edges of the wound/cambium, smooth the exposed wood, and seal with duct seal/cut paste. You may have to look into covering the lower trunk and root spread with hardware cloth to prevent further damage.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would have thought mouse or vole if this happened in the ground over winter, but I'm pretty sure it happened while up on our stone wall...
I'll clean up that bark, wondered what might help - thanks, all

B

Oleg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
It looks too large to be a mouse/vole it was taste-testing on a wall then a squirrel. Was the bark left behind did you notice, and did it mark the wood, if so what's it look like? They're like shark attack, they'll rip your friggin bark off at the knee and then spit it out and leave it, cause they don' like it!

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I doubt a squirrel would bother !
More likely a vole or whatever you call them in Ohoio!!
Havent you got a hungry cat to guard your bonsai?!
I’ve had squirrel damage exactly like that. I’d clean up the edges and cover with wound sealant.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Spray what they're eating with something that smells bad. I use Sevin or Malathion. They will alter their routine. Once they rearrange their daily routine pathway, you're good for the season. Until the raccoons move in. Or rabbits, voles, possum, groundhogs, muskrats, deer, moose, buffalo, elephants, etc. Remember, trees are not at the top of the food chain.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Why not move the tree out of reach?!! or just shoot the F....rs That will alter their routine permanently!!!!
You're not serious? I have never seen a squirrel swim to get something, but outside that, they have all day to figure out how to get to something. It becomes a challenge for them if you try to keep them out of something that may be interesting. It may be interesting even if only because they can't get to it for a routine inspection. They are very curious, like cats.
curiosity.JPG

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely a squirrel. Happens all the time. Hasn't happened to me since I started using fox and coyote urine granules from Amazon.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely a squirrel. Happens all the time. Hasn't happened to me since I started using fox and coyote urine granules from Amazon.
I have that spray... Used it once before we had company, and I heard about it later.. 😉
B

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah that's like a squirrel version of testing something like a Great White.

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
No such location exists :) at least outside of cages, and still inside the hobby.
My yard is like squirrel world. They like to dig in my trees in the fall and plant little surprises that come up in the spring. I have a couple seedlings coming up in my trops, elm I think.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think a squirrel did this, to my Japanese flowering quince... Do I ignore it for now, cover it with wound/ cut paste, plan on ground layering it some day? Thought it was me, Maybe wire damage, but that really looks like it was made by teeth. Varmint teeth...
B
I have much more problems with chipmunks chewing trees causing similar damage. Be on the lookout for those little bastards. They're sneakier than squirrels. Squirrels tend to nip of thin twigs and branches of maples to get at the sap. They tend not to chew on trunks.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So funny story, I sprayed them with coyote urine today, hope that keeps them away.. important safety tip: do not mist trees into a prevailing wind, unless you are worried about squirrel bites. P.U.

Brent

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So funny story, I sprayed them with coyote urine today, hope that keeps them away.. important safety tip: do not mist trees into a prevailing wind, unless you are worried about squirrel bites. P.U.
That is why I use the granular form. I just sprinkle it around the bonsai benches.
My yard is like squirrel world.
I have the sliding door slightly open often for the cats. Once in a while a squirrel comes in. One was in here Monday inside the sunflower seed bag rustling around.

Top Bottom