Squirrel Troubles

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've had my share of squirrels eating the bark off my Japanese maples. Today I discovered this idea.
[video=youtube;l3Ya6z-NlDo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo[/video]

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Perfect! I was thinking of installing landmines, but I am concerned that non-composted squirrel bits flying on my trees might be too high in nitrogen and cause root burn. This is much more subtle.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
LMAO!

This is my squirrel deterrent system:

Attachments

• Da_Boys_small.jpg
    Da_Boys_small.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 17

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We had an Akita mix once that came within 6 inches of catching a grey squirrel as it scrambled over our fence.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Jack Russell chased a squirrel and gave it a heart attack and it died. I had to stop feeding the birds to get a handle on the squirrel population. I now just feed the chickadees in the winter with a squirrel proof feeder.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a large tree that produces some sort of nuts in my back yard and the damn bushy tailed little rats just LOVE it! Bought a BB gun this Spring and learned pretty fast not to get out the tree in my yard. Haven't had much trouble with them since then... We will see how the Winter goes.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best use of a colander ever! Hilarious. Though I suspect the squirrels might actually enjoy it and come back for more.

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
My Jack Russell chased a squirrel and gave it a heart attack and it died. I had to stop feeding the birds to get a handle on the squirrel population. I now just feed the chickadees in the winter with a squirrel proof feeder.

Terry - which one died? I hope not your dog...

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Terry - which one died? I hope not your dog...

Great job catching a poorly written sentence!! So my Jack Russell was on one of those line where she can go in two directions. The squirrel got into the zone and kept cutting back and forth where my dog was able to go. Finally the squirrel made a wise choice to get out of the way and went to go rest on the base of my cedar tree. As I was watching the squirrel he was huffing and puffing and a minute later started shaking like crazy, fell off of the tree. I thought maybe he passed out so I waited...and waited... waited...nope not gonna come back, dead.

So, yes the squirrel died and my dog did not. Although after 14 years we had to put her down right before Labor Day. Sad day. 14 years is a long time. I will miss her, I will not miss her hair!! In fact I'll probably still enjoy it for several more years.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Great job catching a poorly written sentence!! So my Jack Russell was on one of those line where she can go in two directions. The squirrel got into the zone and kept cutting back and forth where my dog was able to go. Finally the squirrel made a wise choice to get out of the way and went to go rest on the base of my cedar tree. As I was watching the squirrel he was huffing and puffing and a minute later started shaking like crazy, fell off of the tree. I thought maybe he passed out so I waited...and waited... waited...nope not gonna come back, dead.

So, yes the squirrel died and my dog did not. Although after 14 years we had to put her down right before Labor Day. Sad day. 14 years is a long time. I will miss her, I will not miss her hair!! In fact I'll probably still enjoy it for several more years.

Sorry to hear about your dog fourteener! I am right with you now, I had to put my 13.5 y/o german shepherd down 1 mos ago. It's really sad how much you miss these darn animals till they are gone. And pretty funny too: I do miss him, but I am not missing his hair! ;)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry to hear the about your dogs guys. Ive had to do the same with a couple of our previous dogs. It wasnt easy and it really sucked.

I will send you some hair free of charge. With 3 big dogs, I have more than enough for several people.
Wish there was a market for the stuff, my dogs are big producers.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorry to hear the about your dogs guys. Ive had to do the same with a couple of our previous dogs. It wasnt easy and it really sucked.

I will send you some hair free of charge. With 3 big dogs, I have more than enough for several people.
Wish there was a market for the stuff, my dogs are big producers.

I have a Friend in Finland. They have Chow Chows and a lot of hair. What I find interesting is that is common there for people to collect all the hair and send off large bags of it to get cleaned and made into yarns. The then either make or have made gloves, scarfs, socks and such.

Grimmy

Top Bottom