Squishy trunk

LehzM

Seed
Reaction score
My tree has a squishy trunk and the leaves don't grow much. Please help, I need to save my tree.

Attachments

• 20211117_195317.jpg
    20211117_195317.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 20211117_195300.jpg
    20211117_195300.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 98

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Squishy to me means that it's rotten. But I think it can be saved.
I'm no ficus guy, absolutely not. So I'll refrain from giving advice.

But it would help us help you if you provide some extra information like:
- when did you get this plant?
- where are you keeping this plant? (Indoors, outdoors, window sill, living room, so on)
- have you done anything to it lately?
- when did the leaves drop, and was it squishy then?

The more you provide the people, the better tailored the advice will be.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

What you have there is a "ginseng" ficus (or so they are called when they are sold) which is actually ficus microcarpa roots that are developed to have a bulbous shape, and then another type of ficus is grafted on top. Soft, squishy roots usually indicate that the tree got too wet, some of the roots died, and that they are now rotting. If the conditions that caused the roots to die in the first place are reversed, the tree may survive and pop back, good as new.

However I agree with @Wires_Guy_wires that some more information will help us to give better advice.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The very first question that I would ask is if there are drainage holes in the pot. If water isn't draining out and the soil is constantly wet, then these conditions can surely cause your problem.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I appreciate the effort you put into labeling your pictures!

Squishy!

Sorce

Ripley

Seed
Reaction score
Squishy to me means that it's rotten. But I think it can be saved.
I'm no ficus guy, absolutely not. So I'll refrain from giving advice.

But it would help us help you if you provide some extra information like:
- when did you get this plant?
- where are you keeping this plant? (Indoors, outdoors, window sill, living room, so on)
- have you done anything to it lately?
- when did the leaves drop, and was it squishy then?

The more you provide the people, the better tailored the advice will be.
Hi…. Need Help. Mine has no leaves. Shrivelled . I scraped a bit off and it’s green underneath. It’s under a grow light (10hrs), living room & cold. Morning sun for about 30mns only. Got it from Ikea 3 months ago. Started dropping leaves when temps started going down ( NV). Only 1 small trunk is squishy, the rest are firm. Do I need to re-pot it? Induce humidity by putting a bag over it? Can I use Bonsai Jack ( succulent mix) as potting medium?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 29161B00-253E-4F42-8E22-1BD4302FA2D3.jpeg
    29161B00-253E-4F42-8E22-1BD4302FA2D3.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 47

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where did OP get off to?

Ripley; all same questions apply as to OP also is plant outside or in? If out has weather been at/below freezing:confused:at all?

Ripley

Seed
Reaction score
Where did OP get off to?

Ripley; all same questions apply as to OP also is plant outside or in? If out has weather been at/below freezing:confused:at all?
Plant inside since I bought it. NV heat hovers around 105 (on a good day) to 124 heat wave. Right now our night temps hover to 45F. We had temps last week that fell to 35F.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plant inside since I bought it. NV heat hovers around 105 (on a good day) to 124 heat wave. Right now our night temps hover to 45F. We had temps last week that fell to 35F.
From pic seems roots look shriveled(dried up). Watering, pot drainage, heater fan/vent near plant? How cold indoors(35 degrees?).

Ripley

Seed
Reaction score
Hi…There is a vent above it. Cold temps inside about 35.There is pot drainage.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Hi…. Need Help. Mine has no leaves. Shrivelled . I scraped a bit off and it’s green underneath. It’s under a grow light (10hrs), living room & cold. Morning sun for about 30mns only. Got it from Ikea 3 months ago. Started dropping leaves when temps started going down ( NV). Only 1 small trunk is squishy, the rest are firm. Do I need to re-pot it? Induce humidity by putting a bag over it? Can I use Bonsai Jack ( succulent mix) as potting medium?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Sorry that Ficus looks toasted, the bark its shriveled up and probably is dead

Ripley

Seed
Reaction score
Hi… Thank you all for the advice. Will repot and see how the roots are. I managed to scrape off another side… and all green inside.
I probably need to move it where there is no vent above it but the living room is the brightest in the house ( east facing house).

Top Bottom