Stages...one goes through as a bonsai enthusiast

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
image.jpg image.jpg When I first got into bonsai...I was scared to "develop" a tree incorrectly. So I felt I must get a good start to finish. But I am mesmerized by threads that show progression where the tree had good bones but needed ramification and such. I'm being drawn to that aspect now. Though I admire what others have developed...I'm being pulled into seeing what the tree tells me. It's quite fun...to stare at bare bones...and imagine what might come in several years.

That said...I'm pondering another purchase. Though I have been on the wall of buying a further advanced tree that I admire. I really think I'm being drawn into developing my own...to be able to look back on and see where I took it.

So my tree I'm 98% sold on. (Just don't know the color) Is a crabapple. Now...I've always thought I wanted a pink flowering variety. But, the color of the bloom is unknown.

Needs a chop...I get that from the get go...and it will be chopped prior to shipping if I grab it up.

So I will share with you intended pot...and the material. (The person selling the tree posted this on the wall on FB so I don't feel so guilty sharing for others have seen it.) I just happened to admire the movement and was told it was for sale. Chopping planned...possibly where the tape is at...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have never owned a crabapple, but if they airlayer as easily as elms, I would airlayer off the top, and then year #2 airlayer off the next segment down to the primary branch. Then you'd have THREE nice trees to work on :)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darlene I have always been more interested in what I can develop, many times I even lose interest in a tree that is nearing completion. Of course I have no interest in showing a tree and for having a tree that's in a finished state that I have nothing to do but maintain would bore me to tears so much that I have given ones like that away. I always prefer the journey over the destination.

About your picture above. If that's the leaves from the tree that have fallen in the pot then its an Oak ! I have never seen bark like that either. It looks like a bunch of fun could be had with this one. I seen a thread here a few years back that showed a crabapple that someone owned who said it was started when , I believe it was John Naka, said to the owner when looking at his mature tree in the ground to " layer that branch" so it seems they can be layered and that's a whole lot of fun and a great feeling of accomplishment when you pull it off.

ed

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Graham Potter has a nice video on doing an airlayer on a crab. He makes it look easy of course but, I'm with you Nut I would want to do my own chopping so I could try the layer.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Darlene I have always been more interested in what I can develop, many times I even lose interest in a tree that is nearing completion. Of course I have no interest in showing a tree and for having a tree that's in a finished state that I have nothing to do but maintain would bore me to tears so much that I have given ones like that away. I always prefer the journey over the destination.
ed
Lucky not everybody thinks like that or we wouldnt have any nice bonsai in the world

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have never owned a crabapple, but if they airlayer as easily as elms, I would airlayer off the top, and then year #2 airlayer off the next segment down to the primary branch. Then you'd have THREE nice trees to work on :)

Not thought of air layering...discussed chopping prior to shipping. Guess I could research that a bit. Food for thought.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

About your picture above. If that's the leaves from the tree that have fallen in the pot then its an Oak ! I have never seen bark like that either. It looks like a bunch of fun could be had with this one. I seen a thread here a few years back that showed a crabapple that someone owned who said it was started when , I believe it was John Naka, said to the owner when looking at his mature tree in the ground to " layer that branch" so it seems they can be layered and that's a whole lot of fun and a great feeling of accomplishment when you pull it off.

ed
I trust the seller...who states it's a crabapple. He purchased it from Owen. I contacted Owen in hopes to find out the color of bloom. But Owen was able to say he recalled some decent nebari hidden under the substrate. Unfortunately...the color wasn't determined.

Not knocking a finished tree...they amaze me. But, I can see things differently than before...wishing to see my own development in a tree. As do you it seems.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure those are just oak leaves that fell off one of the big oak trees growing above the benches at Jason's.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
D
I just suggest airlayering because I will be airlayering two different elms this Spring and will end up with four better trees after starting with two not better trees :)
food for thought...waiting on one more photo...of hidden nebari. To make a sound jump on it with no doubts. I may have him chop where the tape is...and air layer as you suggested down further at a later date. Thanks for the suggestion...and wishing you success on your own.

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Remember only to air layer if the layer tree is really worth it. Layering takes a lot of energy out of the parent tree.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Darlene, I would pass on that, if it is a crabapple. There are much better starts to be had for not a lot of money. If the flower color is unknown, it's probably because the plant hasn't bloomed yet, which can take 20 year or more, depending on variety and growing conditions. Try your friend Steve at Plant City, he has a good selection of crabs, with both pink and white flowering varieties.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Stan, I In no way mean to be rude, but I doubt you would find much better of a start than that. I had the hardest time finding a crabapple for a reasonable price, and if I could find a tree like that for not much money I would be all over that. I guess I am just out of the loop on where to get bonsai stock. I am with cadillactaste; I'm at the point where I really need some further along material but I just know I'm going to overpay for a tree that's mediocre. Please do tell me if anyone has better stock than that for a good price, cadillactaste.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Stan, I In no way mean to be rude, but I doubt you would find much better of a start than that. I had the hardest time finding a crabapple for a reasonable price, and if I could find a tree like that for not much money I would be all over that. I guess I am just out of the loop on where to get bonsai stock. I am with cadillactaste; I'm at the point where I really need some further along material but I just know I'm going to overpay for a tree that's mediocre. Please do tell me if anyone has better stock than that for a good price, cadillactaste.

Plant City has good prices...I just happened to be on a bonsai group on FB and this one was shown for sale. The maturity of the bark...and the movement it has. Impressed me...I'm not lying. Is there better stock out there...not saying there isn't. BUT I do love the maturity of bark this offers. And I don't think I would find it easily. Thus...I'm going to rule out every angle before moving on to another option.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 29

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
He is right though, I would make sure it is of flowering age first. Nothing would be more disappointing than to have to wait ten years for it to flower.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My .02 cents. I don't know what this tree costs, but I wouldn't spend too much on it and I'm "Mr. Has paid too much for shitty trees".
So if you chop where you have indicated, You are left with three branches to develop. Ramify away, you can develop them and maybe get lucky if something sprouts off the trunk. It will take a awhile, nothing wrong with that, but it will take a while to get there.

Do you have more developed trees? Or do you have a lot of stuff that needs to grow? You said you were on the wall of buying something further along. Do that. Save what you would spend on three trees to develop and get one that is further along. One that will make you learn things your other trees won't. One that will make you worry enough to read everything under the sun about it. One that's going to make you take things to the next level now, rather than later. It's obvious to me your interest is there. If you are like me, you have enough young material to grow out and design over the next decade.

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My .02 cents. I don't know what this tree costs, but I wouldn't spend too much on it and I'm "Mr. Has paid too much for shitty trees".
So if you chop where you have indicated, You are left with three branches to develop. Ramify away, you can develop them and maybe get lucky if something sprouts off the trunk. It will take a awhile, nothing wrong with that, but it will take a while to get there.

Do you have more developed trees? Or do you have a lot of stuff that needs to grow? You said you were on the wall of buying something further along. Do that. Save what you would spend on three trees to develop and get one that is further along. One that will make you learn things your other trees won't. One that will make you worry enough to read everything under the sun about it. One that's going to make you take things to the next level now, rather than later. It's obvious to me your interest is there. If you are like me, you have enough young material to grow out and design over the next decade.
I actually want something that I can actually work on ramification. I don't want a finished tree to the point I am only tending it. I'm being drawn to those trees where the owners share their progression threads with us. That is the stage I'm at right now.

I have one I really admire for what the bonsai person brought to the table...to the point I don't feel I would be comfortable taking it anywhere away from that stage. So...I need something I can develop. If not this one...then one that still needs ramification to a point.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lucky not everybody thinks like that or we wouldnt have any nice bonsai in the world

Lucky not everybody thinks like you or the world would be full of myopic rude people.

LOL I had to quote this it struck me as so funny that anyone could take my viewpoint and extrapolate it to the whole "world" o_O Then thinking it over it seemed like a rude remark as if to say I have no nice Bonsai ? :mad: Djtommy 's mommy must have forgot to teach him manners. :(

ed

Top Bottom