Stainless or Carbon Steel?

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Whats the community preference on tools? I’ve got a set of the bare basics which include a small and medium sheer along with a wire cutter, but they aren’t what I would describe as great quality. I got the set as a bundle along with small gauge wire for like $55. Im looking to expand my kit with some tools that preferably don’t have cheap plastic bits.

Seems like 99% of what’s on the market is made of either stainless steel or carbon steel. Pros and cons for the two? Anyone swear by one or have another fall apart on them? Is there a particular vendor I should look at or avoid?

Thanks in advance!

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some excellent threads on this topic if you leverage the search function; I went through the same questioning a few months back. Seems to depend somewhat on the humidity in your area, (carbon rusts more easily) though folks on here will tell you that if you take care of the tools well it may not matter.
I went with mostly stainless as Michigan is humid. Carbon are apparently a bit sharper/cleaner cuts. Often will find they are slightly cheaper than stainless as well.
I have purchased some Kaneshin that are fantastic, but also have some Tian Bonsai and American Bonsai tools. I would search these names in the search box and you will find the threads i mention. Some great reading as always. Cheers.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Stainless is great due to its resistance to corrosion, but some of the lower grades, which most of the cheaper tools are made of, just don't hold an edge. Some stainless is better than others. Price will usually indicate quality.

If you look at all of the high end knives out there, they are all high carbon steel. (Watch Forged In Fire.) If you keep a thin film of oil on carbon, it will help with the corrosion. Again, the higher priced carbon usually goes with quality of the steel.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have broken two tools. Both stainless.

I have bend 3 tools. All carbon steel.

Lesson learned: My hands are too strong ;)
You’re just screwed then... lol. I don’t think I’m in danger of that, tall and scrawny with no muscles haha so I should be good.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You’re just screwed then... lol. I don’t think I’m in danger of that, tall and scrawny with no muscles haha so I should be good.
We had a healthcheck at the university. My hands were 40% stronger than expected for my agegroup.. Still tall and thin myself. Think lugging bonsai around and working the garden works.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
We had a healthcheck at the university. My hands were 40% stronger than expected for my agegroup.. Still tall and thin myself. Think lugging bonsai around and working the garden works.
We’ll change your name to groot lol. I tore a ligament in my off hand at work last year and after a bunch of physical therapy that hand became my stronger hand. Since it’s the one I don’t use for anything though i don’t have a reason to break things

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The functional difference between carbon steel and stainless steel is negligible, when compared to the difference between cheap tools and quality tools.

You are better off buying 1 or 2 quality tools than a cheap set of things that you probably will only really use 1 or 2 pieces of. You have a cheap set, what do you use the most? Upgrade those items.

Most of my tools are black carbon steel because I like the look, I don't leave them outside, and I don't mind running an oiled rag across them after use.

Last edited:

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have both stainless steel and carbon steel. Both work well. Both have held up well in my climate. Both hold a clean cutting edge. I tend to prefer the stainless for small fine level work. I do take care of my tools though. I clean them after use. On rain days I’m in the workshop cleaning and oil coating tool surfaces with a rubbing cloth. I purposefully use my tools correctly....a particular edge only cuts so much thickness....extending past that thickness invites problems. If I have to use excessive force I know I’m using the wrong tool or just plain trying to take to much off in one cut.

My root scissors, probably just a black steel, a Vietnam steel, hold up really well.... inexpensive Vietnam-made scissors primarily used in the fish markets and alway wet. Perfect for root cutting. And seem to continually stay sharp with use even when soil is cut through.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have broken two tools. Both stainless.

I have bend 3 tools. All carbon steel.

Lesson learned: My hands are too strong ;)
I'm 6'3" & 265lbs. of Polish/French Canadian decsent. Hand span of 9 1/2" from thumb to little pinkie at full extention.
Hands are from my grampa who worked steel mills. I thank him every day for what my dad referred to as my "meat hooks".
Broken more than my share of pliers, sockets, breaker bars, etc. (seen a few broken pliers in @sorce 's pots!!)

Buy what you can effort and replace BEFORE you break the one you have!! Don't push a tool to do more than you would reasonably expect from it. They will last!!

There are some very affordable "bonsai" tools out there. Buy used if you can. Many disinterested hobbyists!!

I've gardened for many years previous to bonsai. Many of use common garden tools to tend to my day-to-day.

I've found that because it says "bonsai" you're gonna pay more.

Save your money for the trees!!

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My root scissors, probably just a black steel, a Vietnam steel, hold up really well.... inexpensive Vietnam-made scissors primarily used in the fish markets and alway wet. Perfect for root cutting. And seem to continually stay sharp with use even when soil is cut through.
I find that a lot of the Asian , other than Chinese, tends to be carbon. I have a few sets of scissors and grafting knives I've fabricated from Vietnamese steel.

Grampa taught me to read the color of the sparks when ground to determine carbon content.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If you sharpen and maintain your tools, carbon is better in my opinion.
Stainless looks better if you arent a person that wipes them down with an oily rag after use.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Stainless is tough and carbon is hard. Stainless is ok for non-cutting tools (pliers, hooks, tweezers etc.) but it is hard to get a cutting edge although the edge lasts.
If you want sharp, stick to carbon steel.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
of Polish/French Canadian decsent.

Me too!

You guys are killing it in this thread!

Lol!

You know how much brand new shit gets taken to the scrap yard round here? Lol

I used to work at a lot of restaurants, changing out old SS equipment...
Dude will see a wrapped up brand new shiny something and be like, this too?

Shiny Gone!

There is an entire mini economy thriving on repurchasing new shit that has been scrapped!

Sorce

Top Bottom