Stainless pot.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thank you @sorce @Leo in N E Illinois @HorseloverFat ! @Stickroot I would love to see them if possible
I also admit to a polite curiosity, @Stickroot ... (there.. we said the name thrice.. like Betelguese!) 🤣

I’ve been thinking about this pot, ever since i saw it earlier.... My brain keeps doing all sorts of neat things with this one, and hypothetical others like it. I noticed something in common with all the trees I visualized in these stainless pots.. they were all displayed as Winter Silhouettes. Hmm. ;)

Just felt it worth mentioning... aaaand bugging Stickroot with another “...has mentioned you in a post”-alerts.

🤓

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Stickroot
He's not been around for awhile, last time was just to sell some Cork Bark Jade cuttings, which I bought a couple. He's a great guy, introduced me to the guys at the bonsai nursery near me (unfortunately now closed). There's a website on here somewhere with bonsai ceramists, sorry I don't have a link, but his name is Adam Holden. You can see examples of his work there. He made this pot for me. boug today.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Whipped up the stainless 4" round pot at work, right before the holiday break. I'm *assuming* stainless steel would be a completely fine material for a tree. I guess we'll find out one I have something to put in it.... 🤷‍♂️
Anyway, here's a few photos.
Not gonna lie, when I clicked on the thread I wasn't expecting much :) This is an interesting little pot!

You may be surprised when I say that I think the one thing I don't like about it is the stainless steel, because it will be very difficult to develop a patina or a sense of age. If you had made the same pot out of iron, so that it could develop an oxide finish with a rough textured surface, I think it would be killer.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
But make sure the walls are thick enough, don't want your tree to fall through the pot after 5 years ;)
Iron can last a lot longer than people think. I would just coat the inside with a clear epoxy, or if you wanted to get sexy, bake an enamel coating similar to Japanese iron tea kettles.

tea.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
From an AZ perspective any type of metal pot would be problematic at 115f
When I was spending time in the Phoenix area during a particular summer, it took me a while to get used to “what’s NOT alright to touch”... CRAZY!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Vin tested temps in FLORIDA I reckon.
His Stickroot pot was a little thicker I think, but I remember temps not being a large issue.

Not a lot of transfer to the inside? Wet keeps em cool enough?

Sorce

Reactions: Vin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@bonsainut I glad you were pleasantly surprised. The idea of a patina has me thinking about steels that surface rust, and then rust no further (corten for an example). I may have to pick up a bit and give it a try. @AZbonsai 115 f is why I've never been to Arizona 😉.

Top Bottom