Stainless Steel Grow box

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I had some stainless steel wire mesh laying around, left over from an old job. It's similar to the type of material used to make commercial fry baskets, like at McDonald's. This stuff is a little heavier gauge though. Aside from a few sharp edges, which I may cover with something, it turned out ok!
1454160789819.jpg 1454160824098.jpg
I'll line it with flexible plastic mesh and be done. It's about 6"x 6"x 3.5".
Boredom in the morning leads to this...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice....

I wish I woulda made mine more shallow.

If it helps you save any material.....

Sorce

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm going to attempt making my own as well. I have insect screen, dollar store laundry baskets, and a 12 pack of beer.

Is your soil coarse enough so that it won't go through the screen?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm going to attempt making my own as well. I have insect screen, dollar store laundry baskets, and a 12 pack of beer.

Is your soil coarse enough so that it won't go through the screen?
I'll put some plastic "soil drainage mesh" liner in there.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed, they are pretty small and from the dollar store, though. I still may cut the top part of them off.
Have you considered those shipping flats like they use for grapes? Open sides/bottom all around
and a little nylon screen turns them into nearly instant baskets for growing. Range from around 4
to 10 inches deep depending on what was actually shipped in that particular one. Just a thought.

Reactions: Rid

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just,Wing,It,

It works, don't stop.
Next time try longer, but not deeper.
The idea shows up in the 1950's with a Mr. Kik Tavi.
He was selling Bonsai Kits.

The Air-pots we use, were meant for 100% compostr , and so they drain well and don't dry out in full
sun and wind.

Now you can test how much organic matter you can use, see if it improves the tree's health / look
because of all the extra fine feeder roots. Use an expendable cutting.

Also you can place that mesh shape into a Bonsai pot for display, take out when not displaying and
keep up your fine feeder root population.

Plus, you can observe if you really need fertiliser or how often you really need to repot.
Go for it.
Good Day
Anthony

* Quite a few of our colanders are stainless steel mesh.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Curious why have never seen Anderson flats mentioned on here:confused:. Have bought a JBP and very old Ponderosa in these;).

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Have you considered those shipping flats like they use for grapes? Open sides/bottom all around
and a little nylon screen turns them into nearly instant baskets for growing. Range from around 4
to 10 inches deep depending on what was actually shipped in that particular one. Just a thought.
They're great. Filled this with pine bark and perlite about 10 years ago and never thought about it again until you mentioned it. I just keep it in a shady location, add cuttings as I think to, and if they grow, like these itoigawas have, I slip them up to a smaller individual pot, or put them in the ground.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 16

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

I haven't but will look into it. I was looking for pond baskets, and one store had made a really big one out of a milk crate. I'll post a pic of how mine turns out later today.

Top Bottom