Stand build #3 - Slim build in walnut

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just finished a big dining table commission and I’ve got a ton of walnut around now. Figured I’d work on a new stand. Went for something very light and airy. The entire piece is walnut including the lighter color used for the cross members. Legs are all mortise and tenoned with the cross members and the corners on the 45 degree miters on the top are spliced. The top is rabbited and inset into the base. I like it. Next stand will be better. Approx 16x12x6
35D139D9-51AF-45A1-A796-D0BE38F445A7.jpegAD933358-1656-4ADA-BDB5-AC16C0F9ED22.jpeg40EAE719-D677-42FA-91EF-FF89B7ABFCC8.jpegDBFC5960-0DAA-4A3A-B7D9-05FFE652F9A1.jpeg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Really nice, looks very delicate.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice stand.

Would be fabulous with a tree in a shallow 'tray' (like customary for maples) and a tree with curvy feminine grace, maybe even a small clump/group/forest.
At least that was my quick reaction on seeing it. ;)

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I love walnut. What kind is this? Black walnut's a bit brittle for the router, but I love it.
1st thing I noticed was the tenons in the corners :)
Oil based polyurethane?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice stand.

Would be fabulous with a tree in a shallow 'tray' (like customary for maples) and a tree with curvy feminine grace, maybe even a small clump/group/forest.
At least that was my quick reaction on seeing it. ;)
Thanks @0soyoung . My thoughts also. Def why I put my more curvy and slender Ficus on there. Also because the rest of my trees are stressed and a bit of a mess right now! Feels good to work on something I feel more control over.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love walnut. What kind is this? Black walnut's a bit brittle for the router, but I love it.
1st thing I noticed was the tenons in the corners :)
Oil based polyurethane?
Don’t know the variety per say. “Standard” walnut from the wood shop in town. Yes, oil based poly. In the last picture the stand is sitting on top of the huge 6ft x 6ft dining table I made. I’ve got quite a bit of scrap leftover from the project and I plan on making several more stands at different sizes and shapes.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
1599083039395.png
This wavy cross grain and also burl, black walnut is difficult to work without chunking out.
I had a piece of burl explode in the 3/4" shaper with my hands both very close to the spindle.
Then there was nothing in my hands. Hit the garage door 15' away and left a dent.
That's a pretty piece of wood on this corner. What no pics of the commissioned table?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 326610
This wavy cross grain and also burl, black walnut is difficult to work without chunking out.
I had a piece of burl explode in the 3/4" shaper with my hands both very close to the spindle.
Then there was nothing in my hands. Hit the garage door 15' away and left a dent.
That's a pretty piece of wood on this corner. What no pics of the commissioned table?
That was a piece i had been moving around with me for a bit. Certainly different from the frame.
Here’s the top. C2E01281-29C8-43A8-A21F-679FD5EE5978.jpeg
And here is a shot of the base. It’s huge. Hard to get a good shot in my garage.
79D2D0F5-6E38-47E9-B22F-8F9E414C4DF9.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice, looks very delicate.
Thanks Carol! Im really in to delicate trees right now. Slender trunks are difficult to pull off. I wanted to make a stand that may helped highlight the negative space that slender trunks or a grove of slender trunks convey.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks good but also fragile, very feminine looking. I like it.

I'm actually in the process of making a stand myself right now.....as time permits.
thumbnail_20200922_151216.jpg

Top Bottom