Stand Build #7

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just about finished with another stand. I find myself enjoying this process so much. Though this last year and a good chunk of this year have had me building custom pieces for people, I’ve spent Several years of production work of my products to sell. It’s what’s necessary to keep money flowing in. The unglamorous side of being a self employed creative. Making these stands has been so refreshing for me and I’ve truly enjoyed every minute.

this stand I made from hickory I had from another project. I love hickory. Though it’s appearance is similar to Oak, I much prefer hickory to oak. The piece still needs some sanding and balancing. I plan on applying a heavy dye or stain to the piece but I’m not entirely sure which direction I’d go. I’d also love to keep it natural, but I know the lighter stands aren’t always what appeals to others. And while I enjoy making these, I still sell them, so some concessions need to be made.
I’m considering a black. Or even a gray or red

what stain/color could you see this finished in?
937219BC-A7D9-4474-BEDF-5025096588D0.jpeg10FF8543-0D0A-486A-B740-62335B792ED5.jpeg1B75ED4A-65D6-4F0E-A07A-6CB3BF6A1812.jpeg0F5F9BD9-ED35-4FB5-A10C-53B9CC636A2C.jpeg4BB282BC-55DA-4632-A5F8-502CA91CF0DA.jpeg

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Black underneath with Chinese red legs and top trim with black insert on top. Yeah, its the same as Japanese red often used in small home alters but the Chinese invented it. It is a lacquer actually and not a paint.
Did I forget to say what a marvelous piece it is?

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
As a fellow woodworker, I hate staining wood. I never do it, unless I’m using terrible wood, like poplar for something cheap.

That said, I agree that a darker colored stand would be an easier sell. I’d go with slightly darker brown dye with red in it, and finish in a satin gloss. Maybe something like Vintage Cherry by General Finishes.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Great skill!

Dark wood... or dark stain. That stand in walnut would be killer.

[EDIT] @Ruddigger beat me to it. I do not like to stain wood. However in the case of bonsai stands it is really hard to make a lighter stand work. I often tell people bonsai and pots is like and oil painting and a frame. They have to work together, but the frame has to support the painting, and not the other way around. If everyone walked up to a painting in a museum and said "wow, what a great frame" you know you have a problem. Within that context, the stand is NEVER the focus. That doesn't mean it is cheap or poorly done. It means - it is there to support the tree and the pot in a perfect way, without drawing too much attention to itself. [/EDIT]

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Black underneath with Chinese red legs and top trim with black insert on top. Yeah, its the same as Japanese red often used in small home alters but the Chinese invented it. It is a lacquer actually and not a paint.
Did I forget to say what a marvelous piece it is?
Thanks penumbra! I’m curious of the look you speak of?!?! It sounds amazing!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you consider black to be more towards a formal approach...shape, angles, less is more?

A grey or in particular, red, would seem to suit this more free-form design approach?

Hooray beer!
My initial thought is Red just to have fun.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a fellow woodworker, I hate staining wood. I never do it, unless I’m using terrible wood, like poplar for something cheap.

That said, I agree that a darker colored stand would be an easier sell. I’d go with slightly darker brown dye with red in it, and finish in a satin gloss. Maybe something like Vintage Cherry by General Finishes.
100% agree. I rarely if ever stain wood and always try and talk my clients out of the idea. In this case, I’ve got a good amount of hickory leftover and I initially though I would take a torch to the whole piece, but talked myself out of it. I’m going to play with some samples first.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great skill!

Dark wood... or dark stain. That stand in walnut would be killer.

[EDIT] @Ruddigger beat me to it. I do not like to stain wood. However in the case of bonsai stands it is really hard to make a lighter stand work. I often tell people bonsai and pots is like and oil painting and a frame. They have to work together, but the frame has to support the painting, and not the other way around. If everyone walked up to a painting in a museum and said "wow, what a great frame" you know you have a problem. Within that context, the stand is NEVER the focus. That doesn't mean it is cheap or poorly done. It means - it is there to support the tree and the pot in a perfect way, without drawing too much attention to itself. [/EDIT]
Thanks Greg! Half way through attach the little rounded corbel pieces I asked myself. Why the f did you not make this in Walnut?!?!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks Greg! Half way through attach the little rounded corbel pieces I asked myself. Why the f did you not make this in Walnut?!?!

It all depends on the hardwood. Some can take a dark stain well and hold it. I like darker woods... but what I really like is good skill.

The next time I make this chair it is going to be in American walnut... for my wife :)

chair4.jpg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Speaking of skill! That’s a dope piece Greg. Incredibly well executed joinery!
It all depends on the hardwood. Some can take a dark stain well and hold it. I like darker woods... but what I really like is good skill.

The next time I make this chair it is going to be in American walnut... for my wife :)

View attachment 386880

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great, Danny. I think a traditional dark brown stain would look good on this stand. A dark cherry might work, also.
I think I will probably go with something along these lines, but am not settled just yet. I’m going to do some samples this weekend.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
100% agree. I rarely if ever stain wood and always try and talk my clients out of the idea. In this case, I’ve got a good amount of hickory leftover and I initially though I would take a torch to the whole piece, but talked myself out of it. I’m going to play with some samples first.
Why would you talk anyone out of stain?

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

View attachment 386880

Is that a Maloof style rocker? Beautiful.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Because I prefer the natural color and grain that most woods provide, especially when a clear coat is applied well.
That is a reasonable answer! :)
I know stain can be harder to apply, especially without pro-level tools. I am glad that skill and a good challenge isn't what is influencing your recommendation.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is a reasonable answer! :)
I know stain can be harder to apply, especially without pro-level tools. I am glad that skill and a good challenge isn't what is influencing your recommendation.
I’ll be honest also. I’m not great at applying stains and is something I would and frankly should get better at. But it’s def not why I try and talk people out of it. It’s a personal preference thing. I’m fortunate though at this point, that most people come to me for how I make and build things and are pretty much open to my interpretations.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
First off, it's beautiful. I think a darker stain would really bring out the wood grain and painting it would kind of cheapen it. But I know knowing about stands, just my personal preference.

Top Bottom