Stand Build #7

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It all depends on the hardwood. Some can take a dark stain well and hold it. I like darker woods... but what I really like is good skill.

The next time I make this chair it is going to be in American walnut... for my wife :)

View attachment 386880
Wow, and I thought the cutting boards you made were really cool!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Honestly I like that stand just how it is. Maybe with a tung oil finish. To me the light color of the wood compliments the design......but if you do decide to stain it i would say something dark similar to a rosewood color.

Make sure you put down a sealer before you stain to keep it even. It would be a shame to see such a nice stand with blotches.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honestly I like that stand just how it is. Maybe with a tung oil finish. To me the light color of the wood compliments the design......but if you do decide to stain it i would say something dark similar to a rosewood color.

Make sure you put down a sealer before you stain to keep it even. It would be a shame to see such a nice stand with blotches.
I’m still considering a clear coat, but I think I will ultimately apply a darker stain. I need to improve that side of my craft.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First off, it's beautiful. I think a darker stain would really bring out the wood grain and painting it would kind of cheapen it. But I know knowing about stands, just my personal preference.
Thanks Carol. Def not going to paint it. But staining is not something I’m a big fan of and never quite sure the direction I want to go with that. I’m leaning closest to a darker brown with a red tint.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
First off, it's beautiful. I think a darker stain would really bring out the wood grain and painting it would kind of cheapen it. But I know knowing about stands, just my personal preference.
That is a really good point. I was looking for a picture frame today and they all seemed to be painted plastic. Very cheap looking. Then again, as soon as you have real wood, you want to show off the wood grain in some way. Actual wood is becoming a status symbol.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Carol. Def not going to paint it. But staining is not something I’m a big fan of and never quite sure the direction I want to go with that. I’m leaning closest to a darker brown with a red tint.
Sounds like 'red mahogany'. This is the color of Duncan phyfe furniture if you are looking for inspiration.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Attachments

• 91B81FA2-C149-4429-9DBD-33AAD8997898.jpeg
    91B81FA2-C149-4429-9DBD-33AAD8997898.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 3D6FE5A1-72D4-4892-98E6-37C2C6513E19.jpeg
    3D6FE5A1-72D4-4892-98E6-37C2C6513E19.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 06E07D65-C3AE-4214-9A2E-F9690850F374.jpeg
    06E07D65-C3AE-4214-9A2E-F9690850F374.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 26

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Made a move. I decided that if I want a dark brown walnut colored stand, then I would make a stand using dark walnut or other rosewood or ebony type wood. In this case, if I’m going to go through the trouble of changing the woods color, I’d go with something a bit more bold. @penumbra @LanceMac10 this may not be exactly what you were envisioning, but you may appreciate the finish none the less.

I used a two part gel stain process. A deep red then a dark brown to darken the red a bit and add character to the grain of the hickory. I was initially worried that the poly may mess with the gel stain so I did a sample first.

if I were to do this finish again I’d do things a bit different as I had a few technical difficulties I dealt with and a few things didn’t come out exactly as planned. But overall I’m happy with the look. I’m going to post this on Bonsai Auctions tomorrow evening.
D9EA5233-C259-4D04-9EEF-11CEFD03CB95.jpegFD95021D-BFC6-4776-AB5E-71C8FEC3C444.jpegE1D65128-851D-43D8-B813-672F890E4C81.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That came out fantastic. You did a good job on the stain.
Thanks Pitoon! I really appreciate your input also. I’ve stained a decent amount of stuff over the years, but I’ve not typically enjoyed the process. It shows my ignorance, but I had never used a pre stain conditioner and I’m glad I did. Really appreciate the recommendation. There are a few imperfections in the finish, especially on the inside corners of the underside of the table. The gel stain became tacky, very quick and I was fighting streaks here and there. Fortunately the issues are small and on the bottom. But as a great craftsmen yourself, you know the importance of the bottom as well!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
But as a great craftsmen yourself, you know the importance of the bottom as well!
The bottom deserves as much attention as the top. That's a key feature that separates a hobbyist from an artisan.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The bottom deserves as much attention as the top. That's a key feature that separates a hobbyist from an artisan.
Really though. I’m probably nit picking myself also. I’m very pleased with the whole thing, but it’s those small discrepancies that always jump out at me and mostly no one else!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Really though. I’m probably nit picking myself also. I’m very pleased with the whole thing, but it’s those small discrepancies that always jump out at me and mostly no one else!
I'm the same way when I make something.

Everytime I see you post a new stand makes me want to go and cut up some wood, lol. I need to get started on a mame stand sooner or later.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm the same way when I make something.

Everytime I see you post a new stand makes me want to go and cut up some wood, lol. I need to get started on a mame stand sooner or later.
Do it! I little pot stand combo, all made by you would be so cool.

Top Bottom