Stand build off

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So @Cajunrider thread pushed me over the limit, lol. As well as @Hartinez recent stands makes me want to get back more into woodworking.

I need an excuse to get me to build a stand.......so I propose a stand build off. What say you? I know there are plenty of woodworkers here on the forum and I have a pretty cool idea for this stand build off.

Would you be interested? Reply with your interest and I'll put together my ideas to get started.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If you wanna see my hemorrhoid woodwork flare, you might just see it. Haha.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
See me in a year. My cabinet saw and all of my tools are covered up in our current garage. I don't even have a 220 line there. We're supposed to be building our new home... soon... at which point I will have a shop out in the garage and can get back to making stuff. We have planned for it, but the home construction business right now is FUBAR.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
See me in a year. My cabinet saw and all of my tools are covered up in our current garage. I don't even have a 220 line there. We're supposed to be building our new home... soon... at which point I will have a shop out in the garage and can get back to making stuff. We have planned for it, but the home construction business right now is FUBAR.
You have so much to do after the big move.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So @Cajunrider thread pushed me over the limit, lol. As well as @Hartinez recent stands makes me want to get back more into woodworking.

I need an excuse to get me to build a stand.......so I propose a stand build off. What say you? I know there are plenty of woodworkers here on the forum and I have a pretty cool idea for this stand build off.

Would you be interested? Reply with your interest and I'll put together my ideas to get started.
I couldn’t right now either. I’ve got one last stand I had started a while back I’m slowly trying to finish up. Then I’ve got to bear down a bit on other work. Holiday season is my busiest time of year. Also, we just found out we have to move in the next month. The owner of our rental wants to sell. It sucks because I’m starting my home build in March and will be finished (hopefully) next December. So that’s 2 moves in a year. Tricky part is going to be figuring out how to seamlessly move my shop over a weekend in the next 3 weeks while maintaining work flow. Fuck me. .

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm 1/2 way there as well, recently moved, finally have a 3 car garage so I can have my work space but... in the move I lost my 8x16 barn shed, so all the extra stuff and tools I had in the shed are in the 3rd garage space. Finally moved the compressor where I want it and bought wiring for the 220. The builder wanted almost $500 to change the outside box to add 2 additional breakers, plus an additional $250 for one 220 drop in the garage. I'm around $150 in materials and just waiting for a cooler day in the attic to run the wire.

@Pitoon I love the idea of a build off... but my wood working is a bit too colorful from a bonsai stand point of view. I'll have to do some research before I can say I'm in. Right now all I have set up is my combination saw and router because I needed it to make some closet shelfs for the wife and the tree bench.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm 1/2 way there as well, recently moved, finally have a 3 car garage so I can have my work space but... in the move I lost my 8x16 barn shed, so all the extra stuff and tools I had in the shed are in the 3rd garage space. Finally moved the compressor where I want it and bought wiring for the 220. The builder wanted almost $500 to change the outside box to add 2 additional breakers, plus an additional $250 for one 220 drop in the garage. I'm around $150 in materials and just waiting for a cooler day in the attic to run the wire.

@Pitoon I love the idea of a build off... but my wood working is a bit too colorful from a bonsai stand point of view. I'll have to do some research before I can say I'm in. Right now all I have set up is my combination saw and router because I needed it to make some closet shelfs for the wife and the tree bench.
I don’t know what your woodworking looks like. But I personally like colorful and if your not trying to make a living selling the stands, the more colorful the better!! Buck the trends!!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
After we moved from Italy I lost access to the on-base woodshop. My current workshop is my driveway! I'm out of business if it rains or snows.

@Hartinez two moves in a year...OUCH! I feel for you.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I guess I'll proceed with the stand build. Whoever would like to join is more than welcomed to.

Whomever participates, we can show off our work 6 months from now around APR 2022? That should be enough time to squeeze in a stand I would think.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I guess I'll proceed with the stand build. Whoever would like to join is more than welcomed to.

Whomever participates, we can show off our work 6 months from now around APR 2022? That should be enough time to squeeze in a stand I would think.
So what are the parameters?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don’t know what your woodworking looks like. But I personally like colorful and if your not trying to make a living selling the stands, the more colorful the better!! Buck the trends!!
I have a few more builds, but this were the last ones I made.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
After we moved from Italy I lost access to the on-base woodshop.
Do you still have base access? depending on how far south in MD you are Ft. Meade's Arts & Crafts Wood shop is very well equipped for the size. They have all you need for any size project. The last addition they had (granted around 16 years ago) was a sanding belt thickness sander. I made the 7 string and the DV4 in the links there.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do you still have base access? depending on how far south in MD you are Ft. Meade's Arts & Crafts Wood shop is very well equipped for the size. They have all you need for any size project. The last addition they had (granted around 16 years ago) was a sanding belt thickness sander. I made the 7 string and the DV4 in the links there.
It was the first building I visited as soon as I got on base. Due to funding restraints as I was told they did not have anyone to supervise the woodshop. That was 5yrs ago and I never went back to that building. I have enough of my own tools/machines to work at home. Most of my machinery is on mobile stands so I can wheel them in and out of the garage. I really don't like it, but it's my only option at the moment.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's a great idea @Pitoon I'm a grease monkey and not a woodsmith:) Mine would be out of polished aluminum or stainless steel. LOL
As a side note, I considered putting some trees in our annual club show last month but, seems a stand is as important as the tree/pot in a display and I have none. Maybe I need to become a woodsmith.

Again I think it's a great idea for a challenge/contest and will be following.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
One day I'm going to learn how to play a baritone ukulele......one day

Top Bottom