Start with juniper and Olea

Lamasta

Seed
Reaction score
He there guys,

Yesterday i went to the store again and purchased a Juniperus media “Kuriwao Gold” and a Olea Europea.

Since I want these guys to have a good start i was hoping you guys can give me some advice BEFORE I start tampering with it.

Here is some data:
I Live in Holland
It is the end of a bad summer here, I don’t think the temperature will rise above 25 degrees anymore.
The fall starts around mid-september.
I repotted these guys in a mixture of normal potting soil and “Seed and Cuttings soil”. Both pots have drainageholes at the bottom.

Juniper
As you can see on the pictures the juniper has a lot of “foliage”(don’t know if you call it foliage on a juniper) on it. At this point it has several big branches. While repotting I have removed about 30% of the root system. What to do now:
1. Leave all branches on it, do not touch it for a year or so.
2. select the leaderbranch and cut other big branches off.(not touching the leader branch)
3. Select leaderbranch, cut other big branches off, and also cut some of the smaller branches that are on the leader branch..

Olive
As you can see on the picture it is a nice little olive tree. While repotting I needed to remove about 30% of the root system, so I need te remove some foliage too. What to remove:
1. Select one of the tree big branches as the new leader and cut the other two off.
2. Just prune some foliage away, as if it were maintenance pruning. And cut the 2 nonleader branches off after a year or so.

Could u guys give me some advice on how to start with these too nice trees. Do you also like the trees? If yes, what do you like? If not, what don’t you like?

Thanx for the comments!
Lamasta

Attachments

• aIMAGE_221.JPG
    aIMAGE_221.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 22
  • aIMAGE_223.JPG
    aIMAGE_223.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 28
  • aIMAGE_224.JPG
    aIMAGE_224.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 29
  • aIMAGE_226.JPG
    aIMAGE_226.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 24
  • aIMAGE_227.JPG
    aIMAGE_227.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Hey,
repotting is better done in spring, since there will be faster recovery. This moment is often the second best time. It has some time left to recuperate. If you havent disturbed the ballance to much i would leave it for now. The potting soil you used for the juniper will be to wet in no time, so be carefull. Do'nt water to much. For the olea i guess the same is true.

i have no experience with olea's, the little one needs to grow some more... I guess you are aiming for a broomstyle? Let him grow for a few years so everything becomes more in proporion, or cut back hard in spring.

For the juniper, wait until it grows in spring before you do an atempt. I would repot it again in spring in a good draining mixture. Bims and akadama works for me. Then wait till this time next year to cut it.

you can do it allso the other way. Cut it in spring (remove everything you can not use), after a few weeks when you have anough regrowth you can place it in a smaller pot and with better soil.

amai, in het nederlands is het toch iets eenvoudiger om uit te leggen hoor. Oh ja, ze geven morgen en overmorgen mooi weer, zet beide boompjes misschien wat beschut voor de zon.

Greets Dirk
Belgium

Lamasta

Seed
Reaction score
Bedankt voor je antwoord..

Ik ben alleen een beetje ongeduldig geweest en heb ze direct weer gerepot. Ze staan nu in een 1:1:1 mix van Potgrond, Vijvergrind en Seramis.

Ik hoop dat ze het overleven! Nu laat ik ze voorlopig met rust. Op de 15 september wil ik beginnen met voeding geven. of is dit nog te vroeg?

Lamasta

Reaction score
Let's talk english on this forum...

it's not the ideal mix for our wet and not so hot climate. The potting soil will sink within a few months and wil block the drainage. Junipers are hard to kill (exept if you keep them wet). Your potting soil will have anough nutricion for the winter (look at the bag) liquid feed is normally done a month after repotting because it is quite agressive. Organic (firm) feed is slower and could be added to the top of your mixture.

Greets
Dirk

Top Bottom