Started from seed. Now what?

Reaction score
Kev, yours is many years ahead of that seedling. However it will still have all the same troubles that come with red maple. It will have long internodes, leaves that do not reduce well, branches will die off.
It will never become a great bonsai in the traditional sense.

You don't have much investment into yours so far so if you can accept those setbacks by all means have at it. Plus you have that interesting uro in the trunk as a feature so go for it.

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not a rookie when is comes to bonsai and I know my history with trying my luck at Red maples and other maples. This tree was going to be garbage because of a friend digging the yard up for a pool. First time ever at his house and once I seen this I was like I need to have it, because of the awesome character it had. The only negative thing I had to say was I wish this wasn't a damn Maple lol

Tutu Saad

Seed
Reaction score
IMG_1612.JPG This Bonsai looking trees were planted in one of our main road leading from the airport in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It was imported from China. Can anyone please let us know what kind of tree is this or this is a different species that looks like a bonsai. Thanks

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
View attachment 147204 This Bonsai looking trees were planted in one of our main road leading from the airport in Dhaka, Bangladesh. It was imported from China. Can anyone please let us know what kind of tree is this or this is a different species that looks like a bonsai. Thanks

Most likely Ficus. They mass produce them over there.

Reaction score
lol I have been realizing lately that people who are huge fans of the Japanese Maples do have negatively towards all other maples ha hao_O

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another Japanese Maple SNOB. Hates most any American tree and calls waste of time. Ignore arrogance of fools:mad:!
I don't even have Japanese maples.
I just know that red maples aren't very good for bonsai or I would have at least one. They are everywhere here.
Same goes for native oaks here.Red oak and white oak. Simply junk.
Eastern white pines are another. Too long of needles.
Pretty much the same goes for ponderosa pines. If they didn't have good bark no one would use them either. Although if I could get my hands on a couple hundred year old one I would graft mugo or scots pine foliage onto it. Thereby making it so much more pleasing.
I do have American elms though. They stomp the guts out of red maples when it comes to bonsai culture.
You can call me a snob all you like Potty.
You're still an ignoramus.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lol I have been realizing lately that people who are huge fans of the Japanese Maples do have negatively towards all other maples ha hao_O
Not so.
Amur maples are good subjects for bonsai.
Small leaves and short internodes and petioles. The leaves reduce too.
Good luck getting any of that with a red maple.
Red maples are good for something.
Firewood.
Better than oak. Cleaner burning and doesn't stink like dog poop.
L.O.L.!

Reaction score
Yeah I understand reducing size is a bummer, but that why I'm glad this is much bigger. Easier to make things work on a Red Maple when the bonsai is a lot bigger then traditional size. The picture actually makes it a lot smaller then it really is. Like I said in a earlier post this trunk was way too awesome to allow it just to go in the Landfill. Had to at least make an attempt o_O Not everyday you come across a trunk with such character in the wild and I would regret it forever if I didn't collect and try;)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn't know we were talking about seedlings when he said "maples are a waste of time" lol know the the post was about a seedling. I must a read wrong lol
Mostly RED maples (Acer Rubrum) are a waste of time as bonsai.

Reducing the size isn't the problem. Handling its growth habits is. Hard to make compact image because of constant, annoying long internode length and lanky growth habits. It can be done, but it takes some effort. You have a decent trunk to start with, though.

FWIW, just because someone has worked with Acer Rubrum and found it not so great, doesn't mean they're "maple snobs." Means they got frustrated with the species and its stubborn habits that don't meld with bonsai cultivation all that much.

Top Bottom