Started Smoking.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My grandfather was a teacher. He would start the year with.. I am happy when you learn 2 things this year. How to listen, and how to read.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
What’s the proper name of the mesh that you use for your boxes/baskets. I know it’s used for screens in pots.
In SoCal, it is used on the top of large box tree soil for either keeping soil in place or to make it easier to rip out weeds on the sales floor.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What’s the proper name of the mesh that you use for your boxes/baskets. I know it’s used for screens in pots.
In SoCal, it is used on the top of large box tree soil for either keeping soil in place or to make it easier to rip out weeds on the sales floor.

found a place called Industrial Netting in MN. Got some samples of 2 materials, one worked. XV1347.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
this? Looks like 1/8" openings (.120)

Yeah, small DE can fall out, I line those with screen that negates good air pruning.

There is a rounded side, which I also make sure to put inward regularly for better gathering of tips.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This has had branches squirreled or birded up top, so it has been in "bud mode" about every 2 weeks since it started growing. I don't like to remove new buds once the "cross talk" has happened and they start growing buds.

My new truth is, it's the gathering of actual energy at these points that we shouldn't be cutting off. Hormones here prepared to go tell roots to grow also gets removed. This is the actual setback that is faced when we don't make solid decisions only before growth comes in.

20210607_064247.jpg

Note, I cut the "F" out.

Counting leaves to build correct sized branching, only minding size, movement and life for now, no divisions.

Sorce

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well second hand smoke was in the air and now I’m an addict. Got this beaut with a fat base for 10 bucks at HD. @sorce youre a bad influence on my pocketbook

Attachments

• 17EFB2D8-2DC2-412C-B95F-B94E8D72ECA8.jpeg
    17EFB2D8-2DC2-412C-B95F-B94E8D72ECA8.jpeg
    330 KB · Views: 44

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well second hand smoke was in the air and now I’m an addict. Got this beaut with a fat base for 10 bucks at HD. @sorce youre a bad influence on my pocketbook

Think of it as an investment in your grandchildren's space vehicle fund!

Sorce

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@sorce you got smoke in your veins, here is an update on mine after a repot and hard prune May 28th. It has tons of new growth all over it and looks way stronger now than when it did in the pot. When I bought it, it looked to be in rough condition (hard to tell from pic) but it had a powder mildew and a lot of dead leaves/ branches and with cleaning it up it seems to have healed itself up of that.

My questions are what direction would you take this sucker and would you do another prune or let it sit the rest of the year?

Attachments

• IMG-3705.jpg
    IMG-3705.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-3706.jpg
    IMG-3706.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-3707.jpg
    IMG-3707.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 18
  • smoke bush 2.jpg
    smoke bush 2.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 16
  • smoke bush 3.jpg
    smoke bush 3.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 18

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sit the rest of the year?

Probably.

But always nothing till the very last minute. Seems you're a good 5 years out from the last minute.

I'm still only around 60% sure of their predictability, but I had an old neighbor, a tree head, who would cut it to stumps every year.

I reckon you need both sides to keep it wholly alive, I'd keep the left (Dad)with 100 foliage, the middle with 80 (mom), and them 2 kids trying to run away at a 20, keep em small.

Make the family. I'd spend that 5 years building trunk thickness difference then hit it all the way to proper next segments.

Though you may need to utilize one kid as a sacrifice with 100 to keep that side of the base from getting overrun, (it is 2 trees right?) Then just go with one kid.

Sorce

Backwardsvg

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is one tree but I get what you mean I think. Pretty much just let it ride out for the most part while reducing them by nothing, 20% and 80% next year?
The base is almost 3 inches about at the bulge.

Top Bottom