Started work on my raw Mugo, how did I do?

DaveJ

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this mugo pine a couple of months back, and started work on it yesterday.
Cleaned out the needles, trimmed the candles and uncovered some of the trunk, but as I was slip potting into a pond basket I only teased out the roots slightly. I also potted it in a more upright position.
I’ve been a keen gardener for many years but only developed an interest in bonsai since Christmas.
Eventually I might lose one of the two trunks depending on how it developes.
Constructive advice welcome.

Attachments

• AFCB3A66-4C87-4BC3-8013-5227C4B6F4A2.jpeg
    AFCB3A66-4C87-4BC3-8013-5227C4B6F4A2.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 134

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought this mugo pine a couple of months back, and started work on it yesterday.
Cleaned out the needles, trimmed the candles and uncovered some of the trunk, but as I was slip potting into a pond basket I only teased out the roots slightly. I also potted it in a more upright position.
I’ve been a keen gardener for many years but only developed an interest in bonsai since Christmas.
Eventually I might lose one of the two trunks depending on how it developes.
Constructive advice welcome.

You repotted way too late for spring repotting and way too early for summer repotting of mugos.
Mugos are best repotted in late winter/early spring with the buds are just starting to swell or after Father's day

Also please put your location (state) on your profile so we can give you location/climate appropriate advice

DaveJ

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, I’m in UK.
We have had a very late spring here, with temperatures much colder than normal, and a lot of wind. I’m new to all this so go easy. My Mugo only cost £4 so it’s a learning experience.
Id assumed that these were pretty hard to damage due to the places they survive in in the wold.
I’m happy to take the advice of people I’m the UK due to them having similar weather conditions.

DaveJ

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paradox,
Thank you for your advice. I’ve only slip potted my Mugo, and not done any root work apart from very gently teased a few roots from the side of the rootball.
Ive also updated my profile to show my location etc. 👍🏼🌳

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi, I’m in UK.
We have had a very late spring here, with temperatures much colder than normal, and a lot of wind. I’m new to all this so go easy. My Mugo only cost £4 so it’s a learning experience.
Sure learning is fine. We all have to start somewhere.
Where your mugo is at now is it is well past the bud swelling stage. You may think its a late spring but your mugo is saying things are just fine by it and looks like its right on schedule for spring growth for your latitude.

In case you are not aware, the buds start to swell in the late winter, early spring, For me that is usually in mid to late march. It is probably similar for you.
The buds extend into what we call candles. They kinda look like a candle. T hen the needles start to develop along the candle and open, which is where your tree is at now which is why I say you are well past the spring repotting period. Next the needles get longer and the full shoot forms.

Some people repot their mugos after the needles harden which typically is after Fathers Day.

My advice to you is to try and find out which repotting period people in your area usually repot their mugos in as I have seen people in different areas have differing rates of success with the two repotting periods for mugos. Some are very successful in the spring, others do better with the summer one.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboard @DaveJ! Wishing you the very best in your voyage in the Little Kingdom, as @HorseloverFat might say 😎

I see you have taken the first step in trying to style a tree. Mugo Pines are actually very forgiving, but it sure helps to know as much about the tree you are styling before you start.

BonsaiNutters are very lucky to have a real expert on Mugo pines @Vance Wood. He’s written numerous posts on mugos and helped lots of us with questions on styling, including myself. Sadly I hacked and hewed mine a bit too much on my first effort last year, but luckily my tree forgave me and blasted out back buds so I’ll be able to have plenty of material in a couple years to give it a go again.

Getting back to Vance Wood, there is a compilation of his Mugo pine advice posted in our Resources section that would be very helpful to read. You can find it here. It might be wise the reread it a couple times over the next couple years if you haven’t done so already.... and check out a few other Mugo progressions on the site.

cheers
DSD sends

ps: If it were me, I’d be sure to cut paste all your cuts, if you haven’t already. You can never be too safe!

DaveJ

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome Aboard @DaveJ! Wishing you the very best in your voyage in the Little Kingdom, as @HorseloverFat might say 😎

I see you have taken the first step in trying to style a tree. Mugo Pines are actually very forgiving, but it sure helps to know as much about the tree you are styling before you start.

BonsaiNutters are very lucky to have a real expert on Mugo pines @Vance Wood. He’s written numerous posts on mugos and helped lots of us with questions on styling, including myself. Sadly I hacked and hewed mine a bit too much on my first effort last year, but luckily my tree forgave me and blasted out back buds so I’ll be able to have plenty of material in a couple years to give it a go again.

Getting back to Vance Wood, there is a compilation of his Mugo pine advice posted in our Resources section that would be very helpful to read. You can find it here. It might be wise the reread it a couple times over the next couple years if you haven’t done so already.... and check out a few other Mugo progressions on the site.

cheers
DSD sends

ps: If it were me, I’d be sure to cut paste all your cuts, if you haven’t already. You can never be too safe!
Hi,
Thanks very much, I’m always willing to learn. Ill check out Vance’s posts. Much appreciated 👍🏼

Top Bottom