Starter bonsai ID

Withmenumber1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Picked these little bonsai babies up from my local plant shop. Any ideas what they might be? I’m thinking Ficus microcarpa, some sort of elm, and a juniper?

Attachments

• 61A5633F-19A5-4B6C-B474-7C9A7FD5FEE7.jpeg
    61A5633F-19A5-4B6C-B474-7C9A7FD5FEE7.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 246833E5-FE36-4519-A063-90C6FD235E1D.jpeg
    246833E5-FE36-4519-A063-90C6FD235E1D.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 89381986-69C5-415C-8A83-501050D305E6.jpeg
    89381986-69C5-415C-8A83-501050D305E6.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 114

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Initially I thought ficus too but then looked closer. Leaves appear to be opposite and ficus have alternate growth pattern. Ficus is also distinguished by milky latex sap. A few non ficus also have latex but all ficus have that. Ficus also have a sheath covering the new buds until it drops off as the new leaf unrols.
I can't see the second tree being any sort of elm, at least any that I know. leaves are just too leathery.
Probably correct with juniper on the last one but there are so many conifers that look similar it is hard to tell.

Why did you not ask at the nursery. I don't trust any place selling anything they can't tell me about.

Withmenumber1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Initially I thought ficus too but then looked closer. Leaves appear to be opposite and ficus have alternate growth pattern. Ficus is also distinguished by milky latex sap. A few non ficus also have latex but all ficus have that. Ficus also have a sheath covering the new buds until it drops off as the new leaf unrols.
I can't see the second tree being any sort of elm, at least any that I know. leaves are just too leathery.
Probably correct with juniper on the last one but there are so many conifers that look similar it is hard to tell.

Why did you not ask at the nursery. I don't trust any place selling anything they can't tell me about.
Thanks! Yeah I see what you mean about it not being a Ficus... and I’m starting to think the second one may be some sort of Holly.
I didn’t ask the nursery staff (probably should have), but the pots themselves just said “assorted bonsai trees”... :/ I have a lot of plants from this place, so I trust their quality.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Brush cherry?
The second two are Fukien Tea and Juniperus Procumbens
Edit: second look, not sure that’s Fukien Tea. Can we got some more pics of the two broadleaf trees?

Duck

Seed
Reaction score
Figured out what the first one is? I also have one just like it and I have no clue what is it.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't know the first one (those fresh leafs look reddish?), the others are Fukien tea and Juniper

Withmenumber1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Figured out what the first one is? I also have one just like it and I have no clue what is it.
Still no luck on the first one. I saw another picture of someone’s plant that was labeled Ficus benjamina “Pandora”, but my tree’s leaves don’t look as broad as a regular benjamina. Maybe that’s the Pandora cultivar?

Glen Y

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Still no luck on the first one. I saw another picture of someone’s plant that was labeled Ficus benjamina “Pandora”, but my tree’s leaves don’t look as broad as a regular benjamina. Maybe that’s the Pandora cultivar?
Try going to plant.id, get a close up of the leaf.

Top Bottom