Starter pots

Raidendex

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi,

Any suggestions for some cheaper starter pots to grow bonsai in?

I found some, what I think decent size, on ebay for about $24 each seem to be called REB-12 on multiple sites. But I would probably want to get 10 or so of them so it would add up quickly :) In general I'm looking for something fairly sturdy, but also decent looking.

Do you know of anything similar to those RED-12, but for cheaper? Also it does not have to be mica, ceramic etc is fine as well.

Thanks!

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don’t know if it’s for training purposes or not, but I make some wooden boxes, cheap nursery pots cut down, and totes and whatever else I can find that works. I have two in old recycle bins, but hey I don’t need pretty right now because they are not ready for real pots yet.

Raidendex

Seedling
Reaction score
I really don't have anything close to bonsai atm, just starting out :)

I am sprouting some seeds atm as well as have few random plants that I bought. I will have some outside (Florida so not worried about frost), but some inside as well, which is why I would want them to look somewhat appealing :) I could make some out of wood and waterproof it, but by the time I'd be done making it look nice and potentially using nice hardwood I might as well just buy something for $10 each hehe

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While it's always fun to have some things in inexpensive bonsai pots, your trees in development will do better with more room for the roots to grow. You should grow out the base and trunk to the size you want, maybe get some of the primary branches going, before you worry about a bonsai pot. These early development activities are best (quickest) done by growing in the ground, in raised beds, or in large grow pots or boxes. Once you put a tree in a bonsai pot it's growth will slow significantly.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Pots should come in later in training. You'd do better with grow boxes or colanders now

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like these 4, 5, & 6 inch plastic pots for my young trees. Italy made terracotta bulbpans 8 inch and larger for older trees. Wood grow boxes for large trees.

The more plastic pots you buy at once the lower per pot price. You will need mesh to cover the drainage holes.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Plants-Cuttings-Seedlings-100-Pack/dp/B00PIY9P0O/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-INCH-GRE...907876&hash=item3d78a4df69:g:n4AAAOSwFx5b2l04

https://www.amazon.com/Azalea-Plastic-Nursery-Round-Deep/dp/B00571VPAQ/

If you can find these locally they are very nice. They make larger diameter ones also.

https://www.amazon.com/Italian-Bulb-Pot-Plants-4202321/dp/B009PMSWMC

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Besides the wooden boxes that are just great, check your local thrift store like Goodwill. I've bought colanders, dish washing pans and food serving dishes that are easily made into bonsai pots with the application of a small, cheap diamond hole saw. (Don't buy anything that says "microwave safe".)
Clay pots are cheaper than at your local nursery supply. Surprisingly, you'll occasionally find a real bonsai pot near the flower vases.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have always been partial to terra cotta. I'm switching everything in non bonsai pots over to terra cotta bulb and orchid pots. My garden is fairly compact so the aesthetics are important to me and I am tired of having dozens of different colors of pots. I visited Kenji Miyata's new house last year and virtually all of his grow pots were terra cotta and it just looked nicer. Now all I need is the plant material to match.

Top Bottom