Starting a new Blue Atlas Cedar

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I picked this up at my local Home Depot for $49.99. I’ve never worked a blue atlas because they are usually much more expensive and thought this was a good one to start with. Obviously ground grown and probably local. Yes, I did dig down as far as I could to make sure there’s no ugly surprises under the burlap. Looked pretty good, so I went for it. And the price seemed right. Trunk is exactly the diameter of a soda can. There is a little taper, but not perfect. But for the price...

First move is to get it out of the bag and put it in some decent soil. I will clean it up and trim the long branch tips too so the strength is pushed inward. Some of the lower branches are so perfectly formed that I will only need to do a little wiring to get the pads going. I plan on chopping it at some point. Probably about 18” above the base where the trunk forks, and keep one of them as the new leader. Any suggestions on when major pruning should be? Any experience with the species is welcome.

Finally I too a photo of the raw nursery stock so I can record the prices from the start.

C38CD482-DB25-4550-8702-06E3768CD3FD.jpegE7F4053E-BB09-4788-BE9E-16B5B1646088.jpegD4CCD549-59EA-417C-80F0-0E5D0D38F500.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Your first action should be to call Jim Gremel and place a double order for heavy copper wire! :D;)

That heavy branch on the right in the third picture? Gotta go. Use the smaller one just below it that is touching the top of the soda can. You can make a Jin of the upper one. It’s too heavy.

You don’t pinch new growth on these. Let it just do its thing. In early summer, you can cut back to a bud. You might get a second growth. They backbud easily.

You will have to keep wire on it at all times. The wood is springy, and will tend to revert to its original position. Don’t even consider using aluminum. It won’t hold.

Use good draining soil, give full sun. Be generous with the fertilizer and water.

At some point, the apex will get full, Be sure to keep it thinned so that sun can penetrate to the surface.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not bad for price;). Would there be any consideration to remove trunk above first major branch/secondary trunk? If tilted to opposite side would give great major bend in lower trunk.

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I was thinking that first branch would have be jinned. Would it be a good time to do that now or wait until early summer? Same goes for major pruning?

I only have copper wire. My older supply is from Jim, but I can't seem to find his web site any more, so resorted to a new source for my current stock.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I gotta start visiting HD more often. Do you plan to lop off that tall top?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was thinking that first branch would have be jinned. Would it be a good time to do that now or wait until early summer? Same goes for major pruning?

I only have copper wire. My older supply is from Jim, but I can't seem to find his web site any more, so resorted to a new source for my current stock.
Just send an email to jimgremel@gmail.com

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I gotta start visiting HD more often. Do you plan to lop off that tall top?
Yessiree! I don't care that there is the slightest chance of rooting, I am not going to air layer the top...I mean the chances of that are minuscule that it would work, but I know we were all thinking "cascade?" for 2 seconds before common sense took over.

Yes, once I get it through the potting stage, will try to open up and show the structure more. I will be asking for help along the way for sure.

I just moved to the Pacific Northwest, so this is my first spring in nursery paradise. I can't believe the variety of conifers available in the Portland area. There were about 10 blue atlas at HD. Most with trunks a little smaller than this one. PM me if you are local and want to pick one up.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I spent one of the worst weeks of my life in Portland one spring. I have a severe grass pollen allergy and the valley south of town is the world center for grass seed production. The week I was there it was in full bloom with a wind out of the south blowing all the pollen into town. It was miserable!

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
It’s been two years since I did an update on my blue atlas cedar. I repotted it in 2018. Seemed to do quite well. Did a basic styling recently. All copper wire so it should hold. I had reduced the trunk two years ago, but shortened it more last fall. I kept the branch at the top back to ensure the the smaller branches making the apex have some energy pulling up there. I covered most of it w some paper for the photo so it isn’t so distracting.

I figure the wire will be on there for several years. I would like to do some root work but am thinking it might be a little late in the season. Anyone have advice on that? We’re finally getting some temps in the 70s this weekend. It has been a slow cool spring here in Portland. I don’t think reporting is urgent by any means, but I would like to get started on getting the roots into better shape.

I’ll undoubtedly do some more jin on some of the thicker branches down the road. Taking it slow since I’ve not really worked with blue atlas.

60851015-EC20-4B4B-974B-A5D3B51BD380.jpeg38B9AE7F-F78B-4DD0-AF43-88C05D5A8D91.jpeg

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
Great looking tree! Just purchased a Blue Atlas and had a few questions for you. When did you end up doing the top chop? Was it late fall or in early spring? I removed my tree from the burlap and threw it in a bus bin with some bonsai soil. I made drainage holes at the bottom of course. Also any other tips you could pass along before I get started on this beast.20210830_133002.jpg

Top Bottom