Starting a New Boxwood Literati - Join in With Your Input on this Quasi-Collaborative Thread!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Obviously, the language your computer prefers is English.
Try writing "vigour" instead of "vigor" and you will have the proof! :D

Well, yes, my nellie, but in English it can be spelled both ways - as in this Google (an American company) response to the search request from my Apple (an American company) computer, which gives this "English" language response to a search:

"vig·or

viɡər/

1. noun:

physical strength and good health. synonyms: robustness, health, hardiness, strength, sturdiness, toughness;

2. LAW

legal or binding force; validity."

Nowhere does this search result mention the other spelling, and most other searches, but not all, have listed my preferred spelling before the other one (although, admittedly, perhaps only because this was the spelling I searched for ... ).

And while I'm aware of the other spelling, and many seraches do list both this and the other spelling, I simply don't like it, not considering it to be as vigorously straightforward or as lean and strong as the simpler, more "robust" and "sturdy" spelling I use ... :). For instance, if I spell the word "vigorously" as "vigourously," the back-to-back double "ou" construct just looks ponderous, needlessly overwrought, and simply unattractive and uncalled for to my still not quite yet feeble brain ... :)

And yes, more photos today! And thanks for your interest in this thread. :)

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, here's the best photo I could get on this relatively calm day here, sustained winds-10-20 mph and frequent gusts to about twice that I'd estimate. Hope they are acceptable to work with. First the tree alone, second the tree with a few possibilities for the next leader, as well as a hard to see sprout down on the trunk that I circled which I simply plan to let grow for now to add to the tree's overasll vigor, and will remove at some later point. I look forward to your thoughts about choices, and can maybe get better and more photos from various angles when things quiet down here.

BTW, of the two options - 3 & 4 - that go off to the right, I seem at this moment to favor #3, the one that juts off from its parent branch after a very short distance, thinking that the small, sudden angular flow that it would give to the image might break up a little bit the possible monotony of the gentle curves that predominate the image so far. Of course, I also might simply choose the more obvious # 1 or 2 that sorce has suggested off to the left.

Another consideration, given that I will not use the modern convenience of wrapped wire on this tree, as I have said, but will allow myself to use guy wires or ropes in creating the image, as the old Chinese masters would have had available to work with, I simply could pick a branch at this point to pull down in any direction to create a more extreme change of direction. But I also think that I might instead like the trunk down low here (I plan a tree at least twice this height) to remain more curvaceous than angular, and save more angular structures for the final tuft of foliage up at the top. Just some ramble thoughts at this point ...

Anyway, I look forward to folks' thoughts. Enjoy!

Box-2.jpg BoxProject.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
some weather guy was predicting that the rainy season would end at 11:00 Am today,
Like on Forrest Gump.
Like someone turned off a faucet and just like that it stopped raining.
Remember what happens after that. The V.C. happened.
Hopefully your experience won't be like Forrest's.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So Group...

Mike and I spoke about _x_xxx_...when we met at the Michigan show. Between Friends....what an honor.

The friggin Pot is amazing!

Mike gave me this Box.
I whacked it and jammed it in this 3/8in deep Japanese dish when I got home.
20180825_070744.jpg

Something about Full Circles.

Cheers!

S

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So Group...

Mike and I spoke about _x_xxx_...when we met at the Michigan show. Between Friends....what an honor.

Mike gave me this Box.

Cheers!

S

Great tree!

And I envy the two of you for meeting each other - a strong wish of mine. Maybe someday, when I make good on my almost-daily resolution to give up Asawa-ko's crazy plan for us to settle over here in this hellhole. :)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So Group...

Mike gave me this Box.
View attachment 207403

Cheers!

S
Yeah man! I knew you would do something good with it.
A little whackin',a new pot and it looks much better.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And I envy the two of you for meeting each other - a strong wish of mine.
I could spend every day with Sorce,Will.
I think we could get into a lot of fun. Fishing,trees and other extra curricular activities.
I would love to meet you in person. That would definitely be a big hug moment.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...I seem at this moment to favor #3, the one that juts off from its parent branch after a very short distance.. ...
This is the one I like, too.
But to be honest I cannot discern which is #4..... Is it the "parent branch"?

By the way, may I kindly remind.....
... ...Just before leaving Baguio two days ago, I discovered and unpacked three of my old treasured Penjing volumes which, if I recall correctly, had a sizable sampling of really great examples of the form that I can scan in and post to give folks - and myself - some inspiration and direction... ...
Thank you!

Top Bottom