Starting a Styrax Japonicus (Snowbell)

wrfreeman

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello!

New member here. We have a Snowbell in our front landscaping that has sprouted a couple of saplings that I would like to try my hand at creating bonsai (iCloud link: https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ae2DOkhA_-GRGmlB3WqlpDAw). I have a book by Colin Lewis that has all kinds of wonderful information, but nothing specific about the Styrax. The soil recommendation for most of the trees listed in the book was of course akadama. Is there a suitable DIY soil mix that will work for the styrax or do I just need to bite the bullet and get the akadama?

Thank you so much!

Wade

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully someone with knowledge of this tree will jump in soon. If you add your location to your profile you will get the correct advice for your spot in the world.

wrfreeman

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully someone with knowledge of this tree will jump in soon. If you add your location to your profile you will get the correct advice for your spot in the world.
Thanks Carol! I've updated my profile so hopefully I'll get some good feedback soon :)

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I have just one, old, Japanese styrax that came from Japan years ago. It has very high water needs so I use a soil mix that is 50 -70 percent akadama with pumice and lava. I also have several native California styrax that I have collected from my own property here in the Northern California foothills. They are very similar to the Japanese species with slightly different leaf shape and larger flowers. They also prefer a mix higher in akadama. I can't over emphasize the importance of akadama in your soil. There is really no substitute as good. But make sure you buy quality, hard akadama. You sometimes see softer stuff that is basically just worthless mud balls.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For growing out, my styrax has been very happy with a 2-1 mix of perlite and bark-based nursery potting mix. I don't think you need to splurge on akadama if you're just growing the trees from saplings. So far mine has taken some drastic root work and grown back quickly. It does have a habit of randomly picking branches to favor and thicken; you'll want to keep on top of that so you don't have big scars all over.

wrfreeman

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you so much for you replies! I may go with the perlite mix until they grow out a bit then make the switch to akadama.

wrfreeman

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For growing out, my styrax has been very happy with a 2-1 mix of perlite and bark-based nursery potting mix. I don't think you need to splurge on akadama if you're just growing the trees from saplings. So far mine has taken some drastic root work and grown back quickly. It does have a habit of randomly picking branches to favor and thicken; you'll want to keep on top of that so you don't have big scars all over.
In regards to keeping on top of the favored branches, can you going to greater detail of what you're referring to and how to mitigate it?

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In regards to keeping on top of the favored branches, can you going to greater detail of what you're referring to and how to mitigate it?
Crappy nighttime photo go! You can see that the one branch is much thicker than the other ones around it even though they're just as old/similarly located. It's not going in a direction I really want, so now I'll have to cut it off and have a relatively big scar compared to the thickness of the trunk there. I don't think this is unique to Styrax but I thought I'd mention it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220916_211255074.jpg
    IMG_20220916_211255074.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 21

wrfreeman

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
2 parts perlite to one park potting mix or visa versa?

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Majority perlite. I find I need to put something heavier like bark mulch over top so the perlite doesn't float away which is its only downside. I also try and get my hands on the coarser #3 grade perlite you can find in the hydroponics stores which does not need much sifting. Some perlite in stores is mostly useless dust.

wrfreeman

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Majority perlite. I find I need to put something heavier like bark mulch over top so the perlite doesn't float away which is its only downside. I also try and get my hands on the coarser #3 grade perlite you can find in the hydroponics stores which does not need much sifting. Some perlite in stores is mostly useless dust.
I was doing some research on perlite earlier today and that seems to be what most people find. I'll be careful when buying it. Thanks again for your input!

Top Bottom