Starting an internship at Nature's Way Bonsai

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had so much time to think lately (being out of work) and I've come to the conclusion that I'm ready to take one step closer to my dream of being a Part time field grower. My wife encouraged me to drop my Friday work shift and pick up an internship with a reputable nursery. This way I'll learn some ins and outs before I purchase a new home with some property to grow on. Jim Doyle was awesome enough to bring me on one day a week to help maintain his many trees. I don't make much money as it is and the drive to Harrisburg is over an hour each way so it may be something that only lasts a year or two but I am excited to spend time doing what I love, plus Walter Pall haunts this place when he comes to America, my bonsai idol. Maybe I'll post some photos this Friday if I am allowed. Jim is a man of few words so I don't feel like we've really totally met yet

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Congrats
I too a couple all day group workshops with Jim Doyle myself, we "imported him" to Wisconsin a few times. He is no slouch at bonsai either. Jim will teach you a solid, broad based foundation from which to build your expertise from.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm really excited to spend time there. My work schedule mirrors their hours so it's very infrequent that I get to visit the nursery. I've missed more amazing classes than I want to think about. BUT that's about to change!

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Congratulations! Hope you enjoy every minute.

Reactions: GGB

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had so much time to think lately (being out of work) and I've come to the conclusion that I'm ready to take one step closer to my dream of being a Part time field grower. My wife encouraged me to drop my Friday work shift and pick up an internship with a reputable nursery. This way I'll learn some ins and outs before I purchase a new home with some property to grow on. Jim Doyle was awesome enough to bring me on one day a week to help maintain his many trees. I don't make much money as it is and the drive to Harrisburg is over an hour each way so it may be something that only lasts a year or two but I am excited to spend time doing what I love, plus Walter Pall haunts this place when he comes to America, my bonsai idol. Maybe I'll post some photos this Friday if I am allowed. Jim is a man of few words so I don't feel like we've really totally met yet
Congratulations and good luck. I'm hoping to take a class there some day. I've been able to stop in 2 or 3 times over the last few years and they certainly have a lot of interesting Yamadori.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Congratulations! I have taken a few classes at NW, and have bought a few trees from Jim (I actually have a RMJ coming in the mail right now 😈). Jim has been very generous to me over the years! He is reserved as you had said, but a great man!

Many great artists frequent his nursery, Walter Pall, Larry Jackal, Mauro, Bjorn, Jan Culek, Jenn Price, and many more! You will learn a lot!!!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome news dude! This will be a great opportunity to take large strides forward, seeing as some of the top material in North America passes through his nursery.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Jim and his wife rescued me one time @ the Carolina Bonsai Expo. I hope you learn a ton and enjoy your time.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good luck on your endeavors GGB!
I hope you'll be able to share some of the sweet secrets with us ;-)

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great job, you’re lucky!

Jim is a sage and an absolutely wonderful human being and teacher. Tell him that Étienne from Montreal says hi (hope I can make it to the fall Woodstock).

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had an all day workshop with Jim last year, and picked up pretty nice little yamadori Ponderosa pine from him too. He was a really good guy to work with, Incredibly knowledgeable and just a generally nice guy. We did an initial cleanup and styling on an itoigawa juniper and laid out a 5 year plan for it.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice dude!
Good luck and have fun learning there sounds like a great oppertunity !

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Congratulations
Hopefully he’ll let you do a some work on upgrading their websit.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Congratulations
Hopefully he’ll let you do a some work on upgrading their websit.
unfortunately I'm the least tech savvy person you could ever meet. The last photo i uploaded on here was sideways and i have no idea why. Most of the 60 somethings on here can out-computer me with a blindfold on. Hope Jim isn't expecting it haha.

First day is tomorrow

Harcusha

Seed
Reaction score
Wow, that's cool! Congratulations! I believe that doing what you love is the most important thing because work should be enjoyable. This year, I also changed careers and decided to leave accounting and start developing my blog. But at the start, you need money, so I worked part-time and looked for a part-time job on this site

Top Bottom