Starting Chinese Elm from seed

Yusuf

Seed
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm an absolute beginner, I would like to know how to germinate an elm seed ( Ulmus Parvifolia). I have Vermiculite,Perlite and Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss.
please advise in detail

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yusuf,

if you can try the roots of the elm, easy to do and they often have lots of character.

Just cut the roots, into say 2" pieces or you can go much longer, leave about 1/2 " above the soil and in 3 to 6 weeks shoots will come out of the cambian at the sides of the cut.

Good Morning
Anthony

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure on the length of cold stratification,but just moisten a zip-lok bag full of just peat with any garden fungicide solution and squeeze out the excess liquid until just a few drops remain.Err on the side of dryer rather than wetter.Put the seeds in the bag and shake it up than roll it up somewhat firm and place in the salad crisper of your fridge for 60 days before sowing in spring.Have your 60 days end at the time it is safe to plant a vegetable garden in spring.You can store the seeds you have in the fridge until you are ready to proceed with this whole operation,they will stay viable in a air free zip-lok bag.Double check the duration in the fridge( cold stratification) 60 days may be too little or too much.60 days is what works great for zelkova.And speaking of zelkova,you may want to check out my thread called 'I'm gonna make brooms'.It is a great method for zelkova from seed I learned from Bonsai Today Magazine.Be prepared though cause' I contradict myself a lot as I was learning.I often think it may be better to read the thread backword,but where is the fun in that.The trees are doing quite well though and towards the end of the thread I am starting to get it together.You can PM me if you want.Everything you need to know is in the thread.I have plenty of pictures in th thread and if you want to see progressions.I continually update the thread also.
I do not know where you live so you must make sure the trees can survive in your climate.typically elms and zelkova are zone 4-5 naturally ,but can be grown in the next couple few warmer zones or colder with protection.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just throw them on a pile of soil and they will all grow with a little water. You can grow an elm seed under a dirty fingernail!

Top Bottom