Starting on my 3rd Bonsai HELP

BondaiNate

Sapling
Reaction score
So I'm giving a go on my 3rd bonsai and I'm not really sure what to do with it. It's a Dwarf Alberta Spruce. I cut some branches away including dead branches and small branches. Not sure what to do with the top yet. Any ideas? Image examples help a lot!

Thanks!

Attachments

• 15551948321236361523160956481239.jpg
    15551948321236361523160956481239.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 15551948887455840333835008069878.jpg
    15551948887455840333835008069878.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 105

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am still a beginner but I have one. It is a work in progress. I tried following the bonsai4me.com schedule last year. My last picture was before I wired in November unfortunately the branches I wired lost all their needles over winter. However the buds look strong and are swelling so my fingers are crossed. I agree the lower branches look to long. You can try following some of the bonsai4me techniques to chase back growth on those. Another option may be losing those and working with the upper growth creating a taller tree. However I don't think you want to use the full height. Try to sort out some of those clusters of branches by reducing the quantity in one location.

20180902_182050.jpg

BondaiNate

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback so far! I currently live in Ohio. I would say the weather is u predictable most months but typically more cool to cold during the majority of the year

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where in Ohio? There are several members on here in Ohio. I’m central, just south east of Columbus.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm in Grove City
I’m in Groveport. Minutes away. Columbus Bonsai Society has been having some good workshops lately. The usually meet st Franklin Park Conservatory. I believe in June Owen Reich will be there. I suggest going to that one. I’ll be there. There’s really nowhere around here to get good pre-bonsai stock. Try to go there, get to know some people. In the last 6 months I’ve been invited to workshops by Sergio Cuan (Mach5), Owen Reich, Mark Fields (at the CBS meeting) and Jim Doyle. Excellent resources for learning and getting good stock. Feel free to DM me with any questions.

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
Dwarf Alberta Spruce are about as flexible as a conifer can get, and require many years of wiring and waiting. If they don’t become unusable due to spider mite infestations of internal growth, the wait for them to finally set will likely send it to the garden or dumpster.

If you want to speed up the setting of branches, you can notch the base of the branches to drop them, but I still am not a fan.

DAS are tough and disappointing bonsai subjects. They resent most of the techniques we use in bonsai so good luck.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What...
internal growth
Lol!..
But seriously. ....

I was just thinking about the...
also feel like the bottom 4-6 branches are too long

And the difficulty in getting internal growth on those leggy branches....

Not difficulty in getting the buds....but in keeping the tree healthy thru the process...

The process, being a "dwarf" taking too long...

So long that I am beginning to think from seed or first year DAS may be the only viable option to creat a good DAS.

Internal branching....seeing into the tree....pruning....and setting angles....

4 things that just can't sensibly happen together from these older nursery stock.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finding one capable of making the transition is 1/Thousands and will probly involve an accidental trunk chop while it was still in the ground, or Early in pot life at the nursery....in Oregon.

Sorce

BondaiNate

Sapling
Reaction score
Update on this DAS, everyone's favorite species for bonsai, lol.

I liked the idea of turning this into a literati bonsai. I removed many branches and sifted through the top section. I will most likely bend the top apex a bit and will also probably remove more branches once I start to style the top. Also possibly cut off the bottom most branch including one of the next 2, not sure yet.

Any opinions or advice please leave some! ^_^

Attachments

• 20190417_191138.jpg
    20190417_191138.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 36
Top Bottom