Starting over...AGAIN

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems like the only way I can have trees is if I never ever leave my house again, or I should travel with them.
680476BF-73D5-4F9E-B631-6CB1B85A8238.jpeg
My water guy put my trees in buckets and basins which he filled with water and never came back to check. So I come home to this.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You have to teach people to do this, you can't just find someone who reluctantly agrees to water your trees to return to anything but disaster.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That's why I specifically grow flood tolerant trees. I take a couple trips a year, and I just put all my dudes in basins of water, and they love it. Some just tolerate it but hell, stress free traveling. It limits the number of species you can grow but I do bonsai as a way to relax and have fun. Worrying about trees isn't fun or relaxing to me so I made the two meet in the middle. I have failed to convince anyone else here that it's a good idea haha. But if you want a list of flood tolerant trees for your zone just message me. Sorry for your loss. And I do believe all the serious nuts use timer systems when they travel. That's option 2 of course

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
That strikes fear in my heart. We've been gone since Sat. A friend offered to water for me (as did my son, ha, not believing that again!). I haven't gotten any cryptic messages from her yet, so fingers crossed!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
A watering system from Home Depot here in the US would could less than $100. Not sure about China, but I would hope something cheap and effective would be available(?)

My watering system isn't perfect, but it DOES allow me to leave for up to two weeks at a time without losing trees. When I am home I either turn it off, or turn it down so it waters only in the morning while I water in the afternoon (to avoid water on foliage over night).

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I told you the places I DIDN'T go on vacation to....you would think I'm crazy.

My idea of vacation is: me, trees, no family and plenty of Guinness!!!! Heaven!!!!

It's a little much to ask somebody to water the collection.....:(:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Reactions: GGB

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have an automatic watering system AND a house sitter to check periodically when I'm gone...
This is the way to go. Automatic systems have been known to fail. Always good to have a backup!

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, Kevin, that's a sad sad picture. I'm so sorry your water guy failed you.

I don't know much about life in China; can you visit a landscape nursery and obtain something to turn into future bonsai? That's what I did after I lost most of my trees after a fire.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I feel for you, buddy. I had a similar incident this spring. Don't give up on them. They may not be completely dead.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm leaving on vacation for a week in a couple of days, thanks for getting my hopes up...

My dad better checks in with me every day...

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Most of us have been there... My son cost me about $500 (being nice) last summer. He had girls and video games on his mind so...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Water guy would sporting a limp and black eye.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cut off all the leaves and trimmed some branches. I found some green inside. I’ll buy 1 or 2 new ones for the sake of having live trees and water these for a few weeks, I don’t have very high hopes, but maybe they’ll come back

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
We got home from vacation late last night. Had a look this morning, and my friend did a great job, Sorry you didn't fare as well....

TooCoys

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
We’ve been on vacation (as you can probably tell by my numerous posts) since Wednesday. I watered extra well just before I left, and a friend of mine watered for me this evening. I’m curious, and now a bit afraid, of what I’ll return home to tomorrow.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Skipped my teenager and went straight to my dad for the watering duties while on vacation. Dad used to work at a nursery and is much more coachable then my eldest.

Top Bottom