Starting seeds in sphagnum moss

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
2 weeks ago i started my third batch of japanese black pine. The first two batches failed due to fungus. My gitlfriend got some sphagnum moss for her orchid, and i decided to try 100% moss as a grow medium. So far the results are night and day. Batch #3 are already at least 4 inches tall, and all the previous batches only got to about 3 inches after several months.

Batch 1 consisted of half of the largest seeds, and half of the small seeds. Batch 2 was the remaining halves of the largest/smallest, then batch 3 is half of the medium sized seeds. I still have the other half of the medium sized seeds for a 4th batch.

Is there any chance that the seed size has a direct cnnection to the growth rate? Maybe its the tempature? Maybe the moss? Maybe a combination? Whatever the cause, im quite pleased. I may not be out of the competition after all! Hopefully these long warm california days will allow me to make up for lost time. Only time will tell.

Casey

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When we were testing that - All Moss - idea from Youtube,
Jerry Meislik [ IBCer ] warned us about - sudden death.

Ask the others if you can transfer to soil mix for your area at
some time.

Hope to see you in J,B,pine 6 year forum.
Good Day
Anthony

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I found bigger seeds to yield bigger seedlings with a lot more vigor. But also a lot more stretchy growth.
Batches with smaller seeds were a lot slower, and less vigorous. But.. After the first month the growth rate was pretty much the same. Aesthetically, I would prefer the smaller ones; they're more compacted/dense somehow.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sphagnum moss seems to inhibit the spread of certain fungal pathogens

Domonic

Seed
Reaction score
2 weeks ago i started my third batch of japanese black pine. The first two batches failed due to fungus. My gitlfriend got some sphagnum moss for her orchid, and i decided to try 100% moss as a grow medium. So far the results are night and day. Batch #3 are already at least 4 inches tall, and all the previous batches only got to about 3 inches after several months.

Batch 1 consisted of half of the largest seeds, and half of the small seeds. Batch 2 was the remaining halves of the largest/smallest, then batch 3 is half of the medium sized seeds. I still have the other half of the medium sized seeds for a 4th batch.

Is there any chance that the seed size has a direct cnnection to the growth rate? Maybe its the tempature? Maybe the moss? Maybe a combination? Whatever the cause, im quite pleased. I may not be out of the competition after all! Hopefully these long warm california days will allow me to make up for lost time. Only time will tell.

Casey
Hi, I have just got delivery of some JBP seeds and found you thread re starting in Sphagnum moss, any chance of an update? Thanks

Top Bottom