Starting trident inside

kpr

Seed
Reaction score
Just had a good bit of trident seeds come out of the fridge over the last 100 days. Had a few already sprout while in the ziplock in the fridge. I’m in West Virginia so it’s getting pretty cold here now. I wanted to start these inside and keep them inside throughout the winter.. although it looks like they have having trouble really getting moving.. I’ve had them under a grow light and put a little heat under them. Should I keep them under a grow light? And constantly keep their soil wet? I feel like I let it dry out too much maybe… I guess I’m just trying to figure out the best way to get / keep all these tridents growing and thriving as seedlings that just popped earlier last week..

JEads

Mame
Reaction score
I would put them under a grow light for 16 hours a day, but unless it gets below freezing, you will not need a heat lamp. you can get a moisture dome that goes over 10x20 trays that could help to trap a little heat and moisture. Be sure to water them regularly once they start growing well. I would not say to keep them "wet" I would say to be careful that they do not get dry.

You can plant them all into one tray, but i usually put them into cell trays. I leave the seeds in the container that I stratified them in and bring them into a warm place. Every day I check the seeds to see if any germinated. Once one germinates, transfer it to a cell tray, cover it with soil and water it.
Then you can ensure that each cell has a viable seed.
I find Trident seeds to be really sensitive and not to last more than 2 years stored so if you are getting only partial germination, you might be dealing with bad/old seed. You can also plant them bulk in large trays and then transplant the seedlings after a month or so of coming up.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Trident seedlings should mange indoors for a few months but there are many pitfalls to growing outdoor species indoors so do not be surprised if some don't survive until spring.
It seems to me that people make a rod for their own back trying to germinate seeds at the wrong time of year. Tridents are so easy to grow in spring when they are supposed to germinate. Growing indoors adds so much work and risk to the venture but good luck with yours.

kpr

Seed
Reaction score
A33CFE14-FCDD-4C47-ACDF-49C17F31A587.jpeg

Attachments

• 00AA840E-3A9A-486C-88A8-49B5BFB65D69.jpeg
    00AA840E-3A9A-486C-88A8-49B5BFB65D69.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 5

kpr

Seed
Reaction score
They just aren’t taking off as fast as the initial take off lol. They are just kinda halted. And not looking so healthy anymore.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They just aren’t taking off as fast as the initial take off lol. They are just kinda halted. And not looking so healthy anymore.
Initially the tree just expands what is already there in the seed. The first 2 leaves are in fact the seed itself, reformed. Now it needs to put roots out, and start building leaves. This takes time.

If you can, keep them on the cool side. Stretching occurs when too little light is available. Low temperature balances out the low light in winter, in that you reduce the amount of stretching you get.

Growing these now & indoors is a tricky balancing act.

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What size and type light do you use? I was thinking about starting JBP this way in early Jan. I have my eye on a 6400 full spectrum LED that only uses 84 w.

Top Bottom