Starting with common flowering quince, Chaenomeles speciosa

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am just beginning to work with flowering quince. My "trees" are not the true chojubai variety, but some large-growing C. speciosa collected from an old garden. Is it true that the same bonsai techniques work on this species?

They were bare-rooted out of the garden in February, and are now recovering in a large nursery pot. Surprisingly, 100% survived being separated from a clump and having their roots pruned. They are all healthy and growing. When would be the best time to move them into training pots in my hot climate?

I don't expect these to look like chojubai, but I am curious to see what I can do with their natural upright growth habit. Thanks for any input!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am just beginning to work with flowering quince. My "trees" are not the true chojubai variety, but some large-growing C. speciosa collected from an old garden. Is it true that the same bonsai techniques work on this species?

They were bare-rooted out of the garden in February, and are now recovering in a large nursery pot. Surprisingly, 100% survived being separated from a clump and having their roots pruned. They are all healthy and growing. When would be the best time to move them into training pots in my hot climate?

I don't expect these to look like chojubai, but I am curious to see what I can do with their natural upright growth habit. Thanks for any input!
There is a great article on the Houston Bonsai Society website, discussing quince with a lot of specific information on the various sub species, including C. specoisa.
It would be a great starting resource for you. If my memory serve me it was in one of the recent newsletters.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks, Frank, I found the article. It mentions repotting in the fall as the best time. I've seen this in other references, and am wondering if it is good practice in my climate. Dallas is hotter and drier in the summer, and colder in the winter than Houston

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks, Frank, I found the article. It mentions repotting in the fall as the best time. I've seen this in other references, and am wondering if it is good practice in my climate. Dallas is hotter and drier in the summer, and colder in the winter than Houston
I would expect the difference to be timing in the fall. Allowing enough time for good root recovery before exposure to freezing temperature if that is an issue in your location. I have always used the fall as my repotting window for quince and found it successful. This was the advice and training I received with Michael Hagedorn who has a reputation for quality Quince. I have red Chojubai, and Toyo Nishiki improved cultivars! I differ in my point of view with respect to sun exposure for my cultivars. I prefer and have better health with partial shade. My site is open, full sun and even though it is further north and 8b zone, the leaves crisp and tend to yellow in full sun.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks again! Given that these were collected this spring, I think I will wait until the fall of 2022 to repot. They need a great deal of cut-back, so that will happen in the spring after they flower (if they flower).

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There is a great article on the Houston Bonsai Society website, discussing quince with a lot of specific information on the various sub species, including C. specoisa.
It would be a great starting resource for you. If my memory serve me it was in one of the recent newsletters.
I found the article in the April 2021 newsletter: http://houstonbonsaisociety.com/newsletters-2021/

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, that is the article I found.
I am visiting Houston in October and hoping to connect with some Bonsai activities. Looks like a fairly active hub for Bonsai. The newsletter was one of the things I noticed when checking out the area. The Quince article caught my attention due to my interest and experience with Chojubai. Recognized that it was well researched and presented.

Top Bottom