Staying busy this winter

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ve started getting some seeds going for this upcoming spring. I’ll post a few things here and there between now and spring. For now here is the first of the projects. 272763

About 30 Jap flowering cherry seeds per cup. Only 1 floater out of them all so that’s a good start! They’ve been soaking for a day so into the fridge they go.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Watch out for mice when planting these. They devoured 400 planted cherry seeds in roughly 2 days in my yard last spring.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Watch out for mice when planting these. They devoured 400 planted cherry seeds in roughly 2 days in my yard last spring.
Good advice... lots of wildlife in my back yard. For now though they’ll be in the fridge till the weather is more agreeable. I’ll be sure to lay some mesh over the seed bed when the time comes.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Off work today again and got bored, so started up another batch of seeds. These ones are Chinese Elm. Stupid things all float because there’s nothing to them, 250 seeds only weighed about half a gram. 50 seeds per cup with these, hopefully when I check back tomorrow a fair number will have sank but I’ll throw them all into the fridge regardless. image.jpg

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Some Utah Junipers that I’ve pulled from warm strat too, changing the dirt out between stratification and picking out anything that molded, two more batches to do yet273292

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Today I’m tackling two different species. The loose seeds are Japanese Yew which will begin soaking tonight. In the bag I’ve got about 30 Japanese white pine seeds which will start warm stratification today. I’ve got another bag of JWP with the same number of seeds278444

Looking forward to springtime. Hoping to get a larger variety of seedlings than the single species I have been able to keep alive this winter, which is a mere 5 JWPs. Hopefully what I learned in my first year of cultivating will help me have some more success! Just hoping I’m not taking on too much to handle!

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Had a few JWP seeds that decided to sprout during warm stratification (annoyingly). Planted them in a few different pots and these two were the only ones that made it, so we’re going to separate them and do some root pruning. 279669

Different pots and root pruned. We’ll see if they make it to spring!

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Some Japanese Maples starting to go too
Already have a couple others in pots as well.

Top Bottom