Stepping back in

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi everyone,

After taking a good year off of bonsai, I've decided to step back into the realm of tiny trees. For all intents and purposes, I'm coming back to the hobby as a complete beginner. After some time to reflect on my participation in the hobby, I've come to some important conclusions. First and foremost, I just didn't have the patience needed to see my trees through their optimal potential. Second, I didn't take the time to learn the most fundamental skills of bonsai - watering, wiring, and repotting. That's not to say I was utterly lost. I just didn't put in the necessary time to refine those skills.

So with all that being said, I've purchased a tree that I plan to keep for the long haul. I love olives and I've always wanted one with a massive squat trunk sporting some deadwood. I saw this one at New England Bonsai and I had to have it. I plan to take my time with it. A lifetime if need be, but I'm certain I can have something special in 5 to 7 years. I just need some patience. :)

Photo curtesy of New England Bonsai

Attachments

• TM_29WildOlive-2-600x600.jpg
    TM_29WildOlive-2-600x600.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 96

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yay, welcome back Tom!

I've always wondered, are Olives indoors or outdoors in our area?

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yay, welcome back Tom!

I've always wondered, are Olives indoors or outdoors in our area?

Thanks, brother! Olives are largely outdoor trees, especially during the warm months. They should be protected at below freezing temps though. For us that would mean a garage, shed, or some sort of shelter during the bitter months. I know Martha (at Meehan's) keeps her Olives in the greenhouse year 'round which gets pretty chilly in the winter. I think the key for Olives is high light and open soil.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And they grow like weeds!

Since you are going to want some serious growth on this, I would put it in a larger pot for couple years. I like the pot it's in, but that's better for a finished tree.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks, brother! Olives are largely outdoor trees, especially during the warm months. They should be protected at below freezing temps though. For us that would mean a garage, shed, or some sort of shelter during the bitter months. I know Martha (at Meehan's) keeps her Olives in the greenhouse year 'round which gets pretty chilly in the winter. I think the key for Olives is high light and open soil.

Not tropical, so I shouldn't test my luck :p

Speaking of Meehan's, let me know if you're interested in a trip up there at some point to replenish your stock. I've been meaning to get up there for months.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not tropical, so I shouldn't test my luck :p

Speaking of Meehan's, let me know if you're interested in a trip up there at some point to replenish your stock. I've been meaning to get up there for months.

I'll definitely let you know. Now that I'm back at it, I would love to visit. It's been well over a year since I was there last.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And they grow like weeds!

Since you are going to want some serious growth on this, I would put it in a larger pot for couple years. I like the pot it's in, but that's better for a finished tree.

I've recently read/heard that wild olives resent being repotted at intervals less than 3-5 years. Is there any truth to that in your experience? I know all trees will only tolerate so much tinkering with their roots, but I always thought olives were resilient in that regard. Either way, I agree that a larger and deeper pot is in order.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I love in my pass time scrolling through what they have for sale. I've always thought that one has good bones. Looking forward to seeing where you take it.

By the way...welcome back to an enjoyable hobby!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll definitely let you know. Now that I'm back at it, I would love to visit. It's been well over a year since I was there last.
If you can wait, you might hang onto your $$ and time. Meehans will come to you (or at least the Potomac Show) in May, along with a dozen other vendors that might have better stuff.
http://www.potomacbonsai.com/festival/

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you can wait, you might hang onto your $$ and time. Meehans will come to you (or at least the Potomac Show) in May, along with a dozen other vendors that might have better stuff.
http://www.potomacbonsai.com/festival/

Oh yeah, I'll be there. I love visiting Meehan's to go through the hundreds of trees they have stacked on the shelves. There are always hidden gems tucked in shelves if you look closely enough. Plus, the prices are generally really good.

Top Bottom